Towing temps boost pyrometer and gears

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
What RPM is the engine turning at when you're doing 4th gear 9 lbs boost going about 55?

The peak power rating on these engines is at 3,000 RPM. Ideally, that is where you want to be in 4th gear. Adjusting the tire size (buy new tires & rims) seems easier to me than swapping gears, especially on a 4X4. When not towing, you can always switch back to the larger tires.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you want this thing to do what you want, id tell ya to start building another engine.
youre in the same boat I am, you want this thing to do what you want.
and you want it to last.

a cam, and a new fuel system along with a inter cooler, and a rebuilt gated turbo!

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want this thing to do what you want, id tell ya to start building another engine.
youre in the same boat I am, you want this thing to do what you want.
and you want it to last.

a cam, and a new fuel system along with a inter cooler, and a rebuilt gated turbo!

How much do you think it costs to build a decent idi like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
what is the max egt after turning the pump up some? 9psi is low for wot loaded at that rpm.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought non wastegated turbos only pushed 6-9 lbs max anyway. Am I wrong?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something seems wrong here. I would expect more from you're setup without major work. MY 89 is a CCLB 4x4 zf5 3.55 with stock 7.3 and ATS 093 turbo. Factory tire size. I turned the fuel up several flats when I added the turbo and tightened up the wastegate. But I can pull 22K gross reasonably well. I'm not a powerhouse, but 60-65 in a wind is feasible. 70 if the winds down. I live in Iowa pretty flat, but windy all the time. I have a 100Kish high mileage 20 Year old fuel system on my truck.

Regarding gearing given you have 4.10's but a larger tire size Id say we're relatively matched.

55 at 2300rpm seems reasonable to me. I would expect more power than you seem to have.

If I"m getting up to speed and going at it hard I can hit 15 PSI of boost in 3rd or 4th gears. I never get EGT's above 1150 no matter how hard I try.

One think I would suggest is verify the fuel pedal has full travel. Mine was slightly bent and once I bent it further up off the floor I had a lot more throttle response.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1200 degrees F is the MAX temp for any diesel engine. Aluminum begins to melt at 1240 degrees, so 1200 is MAX that you should go on EGTs, and only for a few minutes.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much do you think it costs to build a decent idi like that?

I went too far, (is there such a thing?)
pistons 600
bearings 200
rings 200
cam 400
balanced cam gear 50
coated new slugs, 240
roller rockers, 1300
everything powder coated 500
ceramic coated exhaust 200
Inconel valves 500
comp 910 valve springs 120
fully studded 1000
turbo 1500(new castings WWII and the works)
fuel system 1400

this is without machining

finding #2 main, cracked to isht, PRICELESS

Last edited:

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something seems wrong here. I would expect more from you're setup without major work. MY 89 is a CCLB 4x4 zf5 3.55 with stock 7.3 and ATS 093 turbo. Factory tire size. I turned the fuel up several flats when I added the turbo and tightened up the wastegate. But I can pull 22K gross reasonably well. I'm not a powerhouse, but 60-65 in a wind is feasible. 70 if the winds down. I live in Iowa pretty flat, but windy all the time. I have a 100Kish high mileage 20 Year old fuel system on my truck.

Regarding gearing given you have 4.10's but a larger tire size Id say we're relatively matched.

55 at 2300rpm seems reasonable to me. I would expect more power than you seem to have.

If I"m getting up to speed and going at it hard I can hit 15 PSI of boost in 3rd or 4th gears. I never get EGT's above 1150 no matter how hard I try.

One think I would suggest is verify the fuel pedal has full travel. Mine was slightly bent and once I bent it further up off the floor I had a lot more throttle response.

That 093 does have a wastegate am I correct? Truck feels pretty good empty but like I said I have no comparison. I was also surprised at the jack of power. I'm not afraid to throw on a new fuel system and some parts. But I don't want to waste my money if it's not going to help.
You're right we are about matched as far as gearing so that gives me something to compare.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

Black dawg

Reaction score
your egt is still low along with boost pressure...need more fuel. The more fuel you give it, the more boost it will make.
timing set around 5-6 deg will also make the turbo more responsive, and less smoke overall.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your egt is still low along with boost pressure...need more fuel. The more fuel you give it, the more boost it will make.
timing set around 5-6 deg will also make the turbo more responsive, and less smoke overall.

Isn't 1200 the max egt? It's averaging 6-800 in the flats.

You must be registered for see images attach