Towing temps boost pyrometer and gears

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The zf5 does not like to tow in 5th. Bearings get hot. I'll pull an empty trailer in 5th but much more than 3k and I leave it in 4th even at 65-70mph. I don't have a turbo and towing leaves much to be desired. I'm running 3.73s and 245/75/16 tires. If I was you I'd buy head studs, max out your pump, and look for 15-20psi. Test, then decide if you want 4.56s. Your motor can run at the governor and 1100* all day long. Pistons melt at 1240* I believe. I never break 1200* but I have to watch it. N/A trucks get hot quick lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
If your egt is accurate, your fuel rate isn't much if any over a stock NA pump.
I would verify timing, I like about 6 deg with a healthy fuel rate, and turn the pump up a flat at a time till egts look normal.....power will be much better.

Gear ratio will help, even just going to 285s kind of takes the edge off of the power in my truck.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your egt is accurate, your fuel rate isn't much if any over a stock NA pump.
I would verify timing, I like about 6 deg with a healthy fuel rate, and turn the pump up a flat at a time till egts look normal.....power will be much better.

Gear ratio will help, even just going to 285s kind of takes the edge off of the power in my truck.

I had the timing verified but it's right at 9 and I turned up the pump almost half a turn. Smokes now where before it never did. It tows much better than before but still not what I'd hope for. Of course my last truck was a new ram 2500 cummins and I was probably spoiled..... long story short my family exceeded the seating capacity and I got a minivan..... so this truck was supposed replace it for camping and off-roading purposes. But man it's not even half as strong as the ram.
There's a huge grade by my house I'm going to try again. Last time I hit it floored in 3rd maybe able to maintain 40 mph or 35. But over heated over the top.
Hoping the timing which was previously-3 was a big part of the overheating. I agree with previous post maybe looking for a boost leak but no idea how to test for that. I was under the impression 7-9 for a non waste gated ats kit was pretty normal so.....

I was thinking gears would be just right with 4.56 to tide me over till I can do a cummins swap and move up to 37's. I haven't ever driven another idi turbo truck so it's hard to know what to expect as if it's normal or under powered. ??

Black dawg

Reaction score
You are going to want less timing with that non wastegated kit. Once you get the fuel rate up to where it makes the power it should, it will be really smoky down low until boost builds. I like to set the timing to where the rattle stays consistent at all throttle positions, this ends up being about 5-6 deg, and I have not found this to be any less mpg than timing set at 8 deg+.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look at boost/timing. The stock tire it just a tad over 31 inch with 4.10s puts your engine rpm at 2896, so when you go to a 35 it drops to 2565rpm. The bigger tire would be the same effect as having lock out torque converter 200 to 400 rpm drop.

My stock trubo with a full load going at 65 mph is pushing 700 to 900 EGT'S not load it's around 500 everwhere. Before putting that factory turbo it wouldn't even get pass 300 unloaded. I can definitely see a coolant increase now by 10 to 15 degrees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look at boost/timing. The stock tire it just a tad over 31 inch with 4.10s puts your engine rpm at 2896, so when you go to a 35 it drops to 2565rpm. The bigger tire would be the same effect as having lock out torque converter 200 to 400 rpm drop.

My stock trubo with a full load going at 65 mph is pushing 700 to 900 EGT'S not load it's around 500 everwhere. Before putting that factory turbo it wouldn't even get pass 300 unloaded. I can definitely see a coolant increase now by 10 to 15 degrees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Are those tachometer numbers at 55 mph ?
I'll have to double check my rpm's towing at 55 in 4th which should be 1:1

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an intercooler? That helps tremendously with towing in the heat

No but I'm planning for one soon. Will that do anything other than lower egt's though?? If everything else remains the same?

I wish I could just say hey guys let's go for a ride. How many of you live near Sacramento California? Haha.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An intercooler will cool the air going into the engine which we all know makes more power, cooler denser air etc... with lower egts and a bit less boost pressure it will allow you to be in the throttle longer and probably turn the pump up more

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically speaking, cooler air is more dense = more horsepower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It's def on my list. I'm just debating how much $ I throw at this motor before I upgrade to something else under the hood. I might need a year or so though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online