Torque screw

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a screw coming out directly above the area where the lines come out, but I was told that wasn't it. I will take another pic tomorrow when I have the airbox off and can see it without a mirror.

I don't think you have one, your pump looks different than mine does.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, I dont think my pump has a torque screw.
You must be registered for see images attach

First, that motor looks REALLY clean from what I can see! Impressive!

Second, as mentioned before I don't think you have a "torque screw" on your pump. It may have been traded out for an earlier year core as mentioned before. It looks like the pump on my 1990 spare motor.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I showed this thread to my builder, and he agrees 100% with what High PSI said. :dunno

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Well nuts.

One of the reassons I got this truck was the IP and turbo both appeared to have been replaced/rebuilt recently. To bad I got an older IP. Looks like I may be after a smoke puff limiter now.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I showed this thread to my builder, and he agrees 100% with what High PSI said. :dunno

Meaning that this screw on the 1992.5 and up pumps are actually a torque screw afterall?

I played with mine and I can honnestly say that my butt dyno notices a difference. Maybe the PO had it turned down or played with it before and it was not set right all along. It still needs to be turned down a touch more but I do notice a little more power without moving my foot on the accellerator pedal where there wasn't before. :dunno

Could this torque screw prove useful on a compound turbo motor?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My personal suspicion is that the torque screw was introduced to keep the emissions down. Kinda like the G code injectors and crimped down pipe. :rolleyes:

I don't see a need for it. It's just one more thing to complicate your pump.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meaning that this screw on the 1992.5 and up pumps are actually a torque screw afterall?

I played with mine and I can honnestly say that my butt dyno notices a difference. Maybe the PO had it turned down or played with it before and it was not set right all along. It still needs to be turned down a touch more but I do notice a little more power without moving my foot on the accellerator pedal where there wasn't before. :dunno

Could this torque screw prove useful on a compound turbo motor?

I agree with you, my truck defiantly drove different when my screw was backed way out. I have sense turned it back in but still not back to where it was when I took the cover off.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I agree with you, my truck defiantly drove different when my screw was backed way out. I have sense turned it back in but still not back to where it was when I took the cover off.

It sure seems to tear through the gears faster under WOT operation...there is NO doubt about that.

Like you though, I know this is NOT good for an engine and cranked mine back in. I can litterally adjust nine with my fingers, no tools needed. :dunno

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I Want one of these pumps!:D

LOL... I was waiting for you to chime in! lol. They should be pretty easy to locate. I swear, that it seems to have more power than it does with the torque screw set up with the factory settings.

Imagine THAT pump cranked up with your 4400 govenor spring :sly

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sure seems to tear through the gears faster under WOT operation...there is NO doubt about that.

Like you though, I know this is NOT good for an engine and cranked mine back in. I can litterally adjust nine with my fingers, no tools needed. :dunno

me too!

Maybe tomorrow I'll crank it right out and take it for a drive and see what happens. :sly

I'll make sure to film it if i do.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I' just wanna see how much it'll smoke when I WOT from a dead stop with that sucker backed way out. then I'll turn it back in and call it a day!

Black dawg

Reaction score
from what ive been told all ford idi pumps have the same head and rotor. so there is no reason to seek out the later pump. with the "torque screw" backed out all the way it delivers the same amount of fuel as an earlier pump. If you take the lid off, you will see that all it does is limit the metering valve travel to less than that of and earlier pump.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
That's not how it works.

As the pump spins, the rotor govener is lifted away from the Low RPM Fuel Limit Screw