Torque Bits = Not my friends

Shaguardriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a short lived Rant: :backoff

Dear Ford Engineers,

When choosing a bolt for the driveshaft yokes please consider using a REAL BOLT, In laymens terms a hex head sytle. This will make it easier for the end user to maintain. Even though I do enjoy using my die grinder it would make the process easier had I not had to use more tools and time.

I still dig my Ford but you still SUCK;Sweet

Sincerly

Mr. Peeon

OK rant over :rotflmao

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary (EMD_DRIVER) had a very similar and annoying experience with those exact same bolts. CLICK HERE

I don't think I'd put those suckers back in there. A good set of hex or 12 point bolts would be my choice.

Heath

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a crewcab thing in the carrier bearing area? Cause my reg cab has no torx bolts anywhere, just the straps for the axle U-joint caps...

Shaguardriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The torque bolts were on the rear u-joint caps. No they did not go back in my local parts store doesn't even sell them;Sweet

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, i literally just took out the shaft and put it in 5 min ago. no problems here.

sootman73

Reaction score
yea the ford dealership replaced mine with bolts that have 6 point 8mm heads. i had the torque and i remember taking those off once. had to get a torx adapter socket thingy cuz anything else was too long. i slipped a wrench on the hex part of the shaft and was able to very slowly take them out. :backoff

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ya really need a socket bit and a wobbly to do it right. Hit them from an angle on an old truck and it makes a mess.

Shaguardriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the Verdict was one came out fine, 2 srtiped out, 1 broke the torx bit. I think mine have been in there since 1990. One Die grinder and vice grips = Win for me. Plus the replacement kit was only $5.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The trick I found on those turkeys is a nice expensive long torx bit socket and an impact to get them off. With a long enough bit it reaches straight in to the torx head and seats in solid , then the impact with one quick tap will knock it loose. It feels like one of those things that you might run risk of twisting something up with hand tools.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
The trick is changing the u joints every couple months then you won't have any problems LOL It wasn't that bad but I did carry everything I needed to change a u-joint and did change on at a tractor show once

1994IDI

Reaction score
Well the Verdict was one came out fine, 2 srtiped out, 1 broke the torx bit. I think mine have been in there since 1990. One Die grinder and vice grips = Win for me. Plus the replacement kit was only $5.

+1 for the good guys.

sootman73

Reaction score
yea i hate u-joints cuz i can't ever find the right ujoints that match my driveshafts..... i always have trouble finding which one to get. luckily mine all come off easy. actually i had to put lock-tite at the rear axle because those kept backing out. :eek:

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, Join the "I Hate Torx Club". I'm the President. Just send me all your old Torx screws as dues and I'll scrap 'em and sign you up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online