Tool tips

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone have a harbor freight transmission jack? If so which style? any good? As usual with HF, the welds on the one I looked at looked like a blind monkey was employed...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When I install a starter that top hidden bolt is horrible to reach. So I use a socket and extension thats 3/8 drive because its easier to fit in. then I use some electrical tape to hold the bolt to the socket and the socket to the extension. then reach in and tighten that bolt. Pull back and the tools come out if you placed the tape properly. I also unstall the lower bolts so the starter is held in position for the last bolt. One more really important item about starters. Remove both battery power cables or risk one hell of an arc show. That starter is powered hot at all times just like the alternater and glow plug controller is. Thats about 2000 amps waiting for a ground to spark away. Tools melt and wires burn off instantly. A wedding ring will melt to your finger too.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Gary
I always put electrical tape on the inside starter bolt when I change starters on the big trucks it makes it sooo much easier that and its too dang difficult to get it in with just your fingers.
I really like my 3/8 flex head rachet from Snap-On, Ive also got tool box full of stuff I use on a regular basis since I work on trucks for a living.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Extended needle nose pliers are a blessing at pulling those connectors off the glow plugs and pulling the glow plugs out themselves once they are threaded all the way out.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stole this pic from riotwarrior's waterpump thread... i want
You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stole this pic from riotwarrior's waterpump thread... i want
You must be registered for see images attach

Hmm...been lurking around my threads I see...hmm....want my tools I see....hmmm....

LOL

Ya some of what I got is pretty sweet I must say. Mostly LUCK and timing to procure these things.

1/2" 90 impact $3.00 yes THREE DOLLARS at a car show/swap meet...YES THREE DOLLARS you read that correctly Buwa ha ha ha ha all the way home I did!

That fan clutch set, came in a group of tools I purchased from A 1 Autowreckers when the original owners sold to some new ID 1 0 Ts that own it now, that when it was purchased the newb owners didn't want to buy all the tools, I said whatcha got, they showed me, I bought it all! 1" IR impact 50 bucks works like MO FO but I aint got nuff air LOL 3/4 ton transmission jack $125 and another $75 for a cupboard full of tools like fan wrench set, pullers like crazy, all kinds of stuff really just amazing deal it was. Oh ya and a free topper for tool crate like 13 or 14 drawer box

So then the newbs want to use my stuff...***** Nope aint happening boys, it's all at home already, !!!!

Anyway you stay away from my tools metalminded LOL;Poke

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3/8 dr universal impact sockets. Snap On makes the toughest ones. I think you can get them at CAT or CNH dealers branded as there own tool line for less. There are others that cost less, but I seem to break those. I can't seem to break the Snap On's and that alone is worth the extra cost.

3/8 impact wrench(to go with the above) Mine is a IR composite and I barely ever use my 1/2 impact since I have the 3/8.

Ratchet wrenches They speak for themselves. I can't imagine not having them.

4 pc pick set I use them all the time for anything and everything(including picking my teeth). It's worth spending more and buying quality ones.

What else? You guys all know about Vise Grips right? haha

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've used a ⅜ butterfly impact. Talk about handy dandy.
Vice grips for sure. I resharpen the teeth on mine. Just need to replace the adjusting bolt with a longer one.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
3/8 dr universal impact sockets. Snap On makes the toughest ones. I think you can get them at CAT or CNH dealers branded as there own tool line for less. There are others that cost less, but I seem to break those. I can't seem to break the Snap On's and that alone is worth the extra cost.
I hate to be the spoiler of bad news but I have, I want to say wore out the above mentioned tools.
I have a set of the Snap-on 3/8 impact wobble sockets one is meteric the other is sae,I use these sockets on a daily basis, I have wore out the shaft that holds square drive end to bolt head side, those are the older ones with what looks like a crimped on ring around the middle of the socket, the newer design I havent broken or worn out any of those yet.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to be the spoiler of bad news but I have, I want to say wore out the above mentioned tools.
I have a set of the Snap-on 3/8 impact wobble sockets one is meteric the other is sae,I use these sockets on a daily basis, I have wore out the shaft that holds square drive end to bolt head side, those are the older ones with what looks like a crimped on ring around the middle of the socket, the newer design I havent broken or worn out any of those yet.

IMO any impact socket is a wear item and therefore has to be replaced periodically (Hence you buy one with a good warranty) :sly As much as I like my Snap-On stuff my impact universals are Matco ;Sweet I managed to snap an 1 5/16 impact socket in 3/4 drive the other day :eek: Good thing it was a company socket LOL

Cordless impact wrenches are the best tool ever made ;Sweet

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For floor jacks i have found Napa's jacks to be the best for the money. I have a 2.5 ton low pro that was 200 and a 3.5 ton that was 299 with two 4 ton jack stands. both of them are rebuild-able which i like but have not had to do anything to either of them yet.
You must be registered for see images

low pro
You must be registered for see images

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used a ⅜ butterfly impact. Talk about handy dandy.
Vice grips for sure. I resharpen the teeth on mine. Just need to replace the adjusting bolt with a longer one.

I have a very very strong suspicion that the 3/8 90 I have fits onto the end of one of those, it has a clamp that allows it to fit onto something not sure what, but it's definately designed to clamp onto something. I've looked for an old IR butterfly impact just for that reason.

My guess it was to make it into a ratchet...I dunno...

I agree for quick light duty those butterflys rock big time!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a nice floor jack. Most we buy these days will only lift about 17 inches but yours lifts 24 inches. That rocks. Depending on whats bad inside you probably can just replace some o rings and it wil work but test lift it before you get under a suspended load. Or make sure a couple of jack stands are placed as a saftey item. Loosing a member is not something that will be taken lightly here. When I get under any rig being alone I make sure of several ways out from under and I have more than one safety jack stand in place. Sometimes I even lower the load on the jack stand just to make sure the load is supported well. A sudden loss of a hydraulic lift can cause the load to sift and miss the jack stand. I mat take longer to do a job but I'm alive to talk about it later. In the past 7 years I have only had one close call in the shop. I was searching for Cord parts on a side of the car that was nearly impossible to reach. I had to walk over the trunk holding on to the roof rafters. Got to the other side and kept nearly dropping my cell phone so I placed it on a shelf as I was looking for parts. Well as I was leaving this mess I had to jump up and reach for a rafter to get out. I missed the rafter by that much. Falling backwards I remembered the fossilized opossum on the garage floor and was falling down on it thinking about those teeth thinking this is gonna hurt. Well I fell almost to the floor but was wedged between the cabintes and the rear wheel and tire of the car. there I was suspended above the dead animal with my arms pressed tightly to my sides. Couldn't move. Figured nobodys home so I will call the wifey... Nope.. I can see the cell phone about 10 feet above me on the shelf. What to do... Being stuck kind of levitated above a dried up toothy possum is not my fin idea. So I started trying to move around and finally got some wiggle room. Ended up missing the dead animal and the teeth too. got out. got my cel phone back too and safely make it out of that tight stop. I did some cleaning the next weekend and have never tried walking across the car like that again. Once burned... Once learned... The wifey got a horribly good laugh out of that story. I didn't think it was that funny... Kinda hurt my feelings too seeing her laugh like that.