too much smoke

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
ok, took off my pickup bed and setup my 3500 w a 8' masons dump ,,
so its become a really nice work truck ,,, now that the truck is carrying weight all the time im having issue w\ smoke and my mileage just sucks ,,,, whats the deal ? i have a intake, exhaust , fuel plate and injectors,,, can i get back some mileage and more driveability ,,, she tends to stall as well when u let off the gas thanks R

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new here and still learning so take what I have with a grain of salt. I'm guessing by injectors you mean aftermarket. I've learned so far that excessive smoke is caused from too much fuel. So you've got to figure out how to use up the fuel either by increasing the airflow or other means like adding propane. Other than being it's own fuel source I've read here that propane helps to achieve a more complete burn of the diesell fuel and thus makes the truck more efficient in adding more power and reducing the amount of throttle needed to achieve the power which results in better fuel mileage.

rubberfish

Reaction score
At first I was going to say, pull out the 370's, but then you mentioned stalling.
This only started since you installed the dump box? Pinched return line????

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
no ,she was tempermental before the body swap ,,, its just now other people are driving her and they are not use to the truck ,,,,so it has become abit of a nusiance ,,, im thinkin the 370s are going to have to go ,, or maybe a fuel plate adjustment ??? R im not really sure

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
id say that but the black cloud rollin out of my pipe is rediculous,, and fuel consumption is at 10mpg ,,, the truck hauls ass if you let the turbo spool up before u lay into the pedal, but avg drivers hit it right away so the truck goes nowhere and covers the entire road w/ raw fuel,,, not a enviromentaly friendy thing to do w/ a co. truck ,,, any ideas R

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, adding more fuel with the plate and injectors is the problem....if you want to add more fuel but not smoke...you have to get more boost faster. has anyone j hooked the wastegate? if not, you couyld be wasting alot of boost right out the tailpipe.

smoke doesnt hurt the environment...its just soot.

depending on how much weight is in the truck and how everyone else is driving it...that could be the cause of the poor mileage. everyone i seen with these trucks averages about 12-14 loaded, so your not actually too far off imo.

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
truck just hit 140k ,, no jhook , if im correct,,, id like to adjust the fuel and try to get some better milage as well as kill the smoke issue any ideas on why she stalls when u lift off the pedal R

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is an adjustment for the idle on the cable, right near the i/p. alot of times over the years they loosen up and drop the idle too low. readjust the idle, youll see where when you get near the i/p. see if it has the pipe fitting on the turbo that goes to the wastegate...if it does, youll just have to replace the fitting with one that has a smaller orifice in it, that will allow you more boost sooner, so you wont have as much smoke problems.(its a rubber hose that goes from front of turbo to wastegate...you cant miss it) maybe one of the other guys can tell you where to find the smaller orificed fitting.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
theres no such thing as too much smoke
;Sweet :Sly ;Really :hail I'll second that!!!!

My 97 had the same stalling problem with the 370's. I just upped the idle to the max rpm listed for being in gear, which is about 750 I think. It helps it start faster with gov springs too.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rubberfish said:
You talking about a boost elbow?
You can get them most anywhere.
yeah...it was late and i couldnt think of the proper term...but you know what i meant ;Sweet

batfish

Reaction score
ctkiteboarding said:
im thinkin the 370s are going to have to go

The Bosch 370's spray pattern is not very efficent. They were designed for an entirely different motor (marine top-end) thus the smoke and possible EGT's. If you want to spend the money $$ and get power without heat and smoke the aftermarket injectors like Piers has the correct spray pattern for our motors. There are some other aftermarket that are very good injectors also. Its just that the Bosch are so dang reasonabley priced for the power.

MYTRNx3

T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
theres no such thing as too much smoke
3rd that!

No such thing... Unless you bought a ford, that is "up in smoke".. then stand back - and move your truck, as the fumes may dammage the content / thought process of the beloved dodge... rub her bummper, tell her she's beautiful, and move on with life...

Oh unless you bought a ford