toe to toe with a cummins!

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how safe is it too push them close to that? I.e i normally dont run it much over 2500

dont be afraid of that governor. it keeps everything in check. ive gotten pretty good at grabbin the next gear just before it hits it and drops me on my face. other times, such as goin across a parkin lot to a stop sign, ill leave it in first or second and just wind it up to the limiter and ride it.

my dad said i was over-revvin mine a little above 2k. he also claimed it wouldnt get outta its own way in 4th gear. the powerband on an n/a doesnt start til around 1600, and pull really well over 2200.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
dont be afraid of that governor. it keeps everything in check. ive gotten pretty good at grabbin the next gear just before it hits it and drops me on my face. other times, such as goin across a parkin lot to a stop sign, ill leave it in first or second and just wind it up to the limiter and ride it.

my dad said i was over-revvin mine a little above 2k. he also claimed it wouldnt get outta its own way in 4th gear. the powerband on an n/a doesnt start til around 1600, and pull really well over 2200.

my dad used to tell me the same thing... something about age and safety us kids don't know jack aboutcookoocookoo

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what ive discovered, all of my fords run at their absolute best around 3k. my explorer with a 4.0 v6 can run 3k 80-85 mph all day long. my ol 91 with a 460, same thing. 76 F100 FE block (im not sure if its a 390 or 360, its not original) likes to do ANYTHING around 3k. so far, my 6.9 has told me roughly the same thing. it runs best on the highway between bout 2400 and 2900.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
When im out playin in the bush with my smoker im usually bouncin off the govener...gotta keep them tires rollin through the thick coal silt! I dont fear boucnin it off it either, whats it gunna hurt?

BTW, mine tops out at 3850 rpm...

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When im out playin in the bush with my smoker im usually bouncin off the govener...gotta keep them tires rollin through the thick coal silt! I dont fear boucnin it off it either, whats it gunna hurt?

BTW, mine tops out at 3850 rpm...

ok, i know the gm spring is 4400, but where are yall gettin these "intermediate" springs??

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Thats how mine came from the factory, at least its how the rebuilt pump came (PO replaced it 6 months before i bought it). I thought they all were in that range.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Running the govenor is fine. 3rd gear at 3300rpms is roughly 62mph, and pulling grades at that gear and speed with 6k was a breeze (grades that come off corners at the bottom so you start out at 55mph or so and can't get a run at it). 4th gear is 2000rpms at 60 and although it would hold it, my water temps and EGTS were lower when running 3rd.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I ran a 6.0 the day before I put my turbo on. Out of the whole I got him but once his turbo spooled he was GONE! I wish I had one without all the problems LOL

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
ok, i know the gm spring is 4400, but where are yall gettin these "intermediate" springs??

IH used 2800
Ford used 3800 in some trucks, and 3300 in others.
There is a GM spring that gives 4400 or 4500 I can't really remember.

As far as holding these engines at the governor, it won't hurt them, ask anyone who has got in a hurry with an IDI powered F-SuperDuty.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
The wife talked me into test driving a Cummins a few months back. We took a serious look at a 2011 dually 4-door to replace my Liberty CRD. It was a 6 speed and had advertised 350Hp motor.

I know it was still stock and probably not broken in, but I wasn't all that impressed... in fact it led to a discussion where I told her I could make the '86 just as nice if she would let me spend 3 or 4 "New truck payments" on the old girl. Makes you wonder if all emissions equipment on the new trucks is really pulling down the rear wheel horsepower.

My old Duramax ('07 LBZ) on the other hand would have creamed either of these trucks.;Really

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I told her I could make the '86 just as nice if she would let me spend 3 or 4 "New truck payments" on the old girl.

I've thought about this too - I've got a 100% paid for F350 4x4 with a 6.9 and a T-19. The truck runs perfect and I've already got my hands on a new IP, Injectors, 2 sets of GP's, a Banks Kit and a ZF5. The truck runs like a top, drives perfectly and tows great - all of this for under 2K. I think the only thing I would gain is creature comforts - it doesn't get more reliable then a fully mechanical diesel with a 5 speed and one tons...

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad tells me I rev it up too much too. When I tell him its good for the engine, he tells me I'm young and my brain isn't fully developed yet.cookoo:rotflmao

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The wife talked me into test driving a Cummins a few months back. We took a serious look at a 2011 dually 4-door to replace my Liberty CRD. It was a 6 speed and had advertised 350Hp motor.

I know it was still stock and probably not broken in, but I wasn't all that impressed... in fact it led to a discussion where I told her I could make the '86 just as nice if she would let me spend 3 or 4 "New truck payments" on the old girl. Makes you wonder if all emissions equipment on the new trucks is really pulling down the rear wheel horsepower.

My old Duramax ('07 LBZ) on the other hand would have creamed either of these trucks.;Really

How do you like that liberty CRD?

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad tells me I rev it up too much too. When I tell him its good for the engine, he tells me I'm young and my brain isn't fully developed yet.cookoo:rotflmao

my dad HATES diesels. yet, what do you imagine had to pull his dodge V10 home after he buried it in the mud/water and fried the fuel pump? yup, a diesel haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle