tires

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
OK so i have 305/70/R16 tires on the truck now that are trashed. they are Pro Comp load range D. i do not want D range tires on my F350. i have found a few load range E tires in that size including:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...agemark=1&load_rating=E&RunFlat=All&x=75&y=16

i have also looked at smaller sizes like 285s and 295s but there's no way i'll go as small as a 265 even though there are more E range options in that
size. i have 265 General Grabber AT2's on my SD and i love that tire but once you go above 265 the load range goes to D.

anyway, what do you all think about good E range tires in larger sizes?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The load range is the tire pressure rating, not the load rating. The actual load rating is determined by the size of the tire and the air pressure. The bigger tires are not usually made in an "E" range because the load rating would exceed the load capacity of rims and axles.

Look at the max weight listed on the tires you are looking at, and see if it meets your requirements for the weights of the truck.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
interesting. i did not know that. after looking, it turns out the 285/75/16 is rated more than my GAWR for the pair, even though it's a D range tire.

looks like it'll be Grabbers for me again. i have 35k on the set on my SD and they are holding up well.

Thanks

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Rob , the 315s, 305's and some of my 285s are only d's. no problems with them, once ya go over 265s all that seems to be available is d's

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maximum Load

A tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry. Since a tire's load carrying capacity is related to the tire's size and how much inflation pressure is actually used, maximum loads are rated with the tire inflated to an industry assigned inflation pressure.

Additionally, load ranges are used to separate tires that share the same physical size, but differ in strength due to their internal construction. "Higher" load ranges are used to identify tires that have a stronger internal construction, and therefore can hold more air pressure and carry more weight.

Each load range has a assigned air pressure identified in pounds per square inch (psi) at which the tire's maximum load is rated.

Light Truck
Load Range C (LRC) 50 psi
Load Range D (LRD) 65 psi
Load Range E (LRE) 80 psi

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought that the load range was the number of plys on a tire?

Kinda. In the old days they were rated by number of plies. With steel belts and improved technology, the tires can hold more air pressure with fewer plies.

The air pressure is what holds up the load. The tire only holds the air in. The higher the load range, the more air pressure the tire can hold without bursting, and the more weight a tire can carry for a given size of tire.

For the same reason you need to reduce air pressure when increasing tire size. Otherwise the tires are overinflated for the load and will just run on the middle of the tread.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
true.
but the heavier rated tires have a stronger sidewall construction that keeps you from walking all over the road sideways. On my load carrying trucks, I've always paid more for a tire with better sidewall construction so I can carry at gross safely.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Hey Rob, have you looked at the Nitto Terra Grapplers?
I have the 305/70/16's on my OBS rims and they are E load/10 ply tires.

I was really impressed when they were first mounted new....no tire took more than .75 to balance :hail

I have gotten better life out of them than any of the others I tried....on my third set now ;Sweet
Of course I rotate and balance every other oil change.....more often if I am heavy in the bed loaded.

just my couple pennies :cheers:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
the nittos look nice.. cant say i'm that religious with my rotations and have never had tires rebalanced after the initial mounting. the grabbers do take a lot of weight to balance, and with these wheels i want all the weights hidden on the inside, like they are now.

how many miles do you get out of a set?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Rob, I got over 40k out of the first 2 sets :hail

Of course in real time it was about a year per set :eek: but I gather you are interested in miles LOL

Not too shabby for the roads here and with about 25 percent off road {job sites full of concrete wash outs, pulling others up hills, broken bricks/stone etc...} and of course that mileage life was also loaded bed {tools} and either the welding trailer or hauling stairs on the 20' flatbed.

besides the occasional sled pull ;Sweet

Good tire IMVHO

tractorman86

Reaction score
if you want a good mud/snow tire the hankook MT RTO3 315/75R16's i've got are 10 ply LRE so i'd bet the 305's are too

cpm

Reaction score
Rob;
You already know my take on tires, 'What did the engineers who designed the machine say?"

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin