tires for sand

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. i know this has been gone over a thousand times, but there are a hundred threads. So. I moved to where once you get off the road you're in sand. I have highway tires on the truck and these aren't worth a damn in sand. I'm thinking a 33 inch tire. I don't have a lift kit installed so whats you folks recommendations. Thanks

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
33s fit and drive good. After going to them i cant go back. Cant speak specifixally to sand its all clay and rock here. That said in loose gravel and things that can bog you down getting a truck with diff lock in the back makes a huge difference. Maybe sand would be the same?

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as I hit sand I slow down and sink. I need flotation devices. Lol

CharlesG

Reaction score
Do you lower your air pressure in your tires? Even the Michelin Defenders, 265/75/16s, I have on my 99 are listed as capable tires in sand with lower pressure.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sand you want wide tires. If you're intentionally going into the sand you're going to want to air down some to increase how much tire is in contact with the sand, spreading out your footprint.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
As said, air down…. and have a portable compressor with you. Because when you air down, I am talking like 10 or 15 pounds in them… maybe. I watch Matt and Casey out in Hurricane UT (Matts Off Road Recovery and Caseys Off Road recovery, both on YouTube). They both use “Squareachees” and Matt has a 4x4 Corvair Wagon, and when they head into the sand, especially when doing a recovery, they air way down…. Like single digit pounds…. They have even “proven” the difference, of trying to drive one out after they pop it out of where it was. They get in and drive, and it starts to spin and sink. Get out and air down the customers vehicl, just like they do with the Cherokee’s and the Corvair, and get in and drive it right out….. even ones that are dead, they will air down, because they are easier to tow that way….

Matt loved the Patagonia tire…. That is what he is running on the Banana and the Morrvair… and he has said many times, the more worn (closer to bald) the better it is in the sand. He says a new tire does not perform as well as a partially used up tire……

Here are the 2 channels that I am taking about…. You might get some ideas from them…. I have watched all of their videos, on both channels….

Matt’s Off Road Recovery:

Casey’s Off Road Recovery:

Of Casey’s ”toys” I don’t know which would be more fun.. the 5 ton, or the Nodwell……

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill try airing them down. I think right now I'm at 80 psi. Whats a good starting point? 40 psi?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ill try airing them down. I think right now I'm at 80 psi. Whats a good starting point? 40 psi?

I’m not really sure… the only sand we have around here are at the beaches on the lakes… and you can’t drive on them…. I think Matt made the comment once that on the Morrvair (which is a Corvair Wagon body on a truck chassis with an LS and 8 lug wheels, I think it weights about 5000 lbs) that he was being careful because he didn’t have the air set for the highway, that he had like 15 lbs in the 40’s on it…..

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The purpose of airing down is to create a wider foot print below each tire. So start airing down till the tire starts to flatten at the bottom a bit then try driving it and see how it works and then fine tune the pressure till you get something that works. an exact pressure is vehicle/load/type of ground specific.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
For sand driving, I would say to start at 20 PSI. I don't think you'r want to go much over that.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thing is I have to go back and forth between sand and pavement. So I can't go too low. I'll drop it down tomorrow and see how the truck rides.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sand is a wheel speed game, not unlike snow in driving style, start and stop easy don't romp on it!
Airing down till the sidewall is at least half the height for starters, We often get into single digits in the rocks just remember sidewall flex will burp air or peel a bead if to much side load is imparted.
This is why bead lock wheels were invented.
So cheaping out you can do screws like the racecars, or have your tire guys "glue" the beads on...
Ask a "real " shop for details FIRST.
Look for tractor \off highway big rig shops.

google Viair

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...QQFnoECAgQAg&usg=AOvVaw3LccHC5-xSgIMaU55yklcn these are good portable air pumps, and more flate (multi tire inflation
system) I run a 4 tire airline and a viair 400 (constant duty) as these are duty cycle items sized to tire size choose wisely.
Actual tire brand\model....
Paddles and implement type ribs (see sand rib) but anything can work.