tire questions

badasp118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I have a tire question. I know I could have found out info with the search option but I'm doing all this off of my cell phone n its easier to read than use so please bear with me. My rear dully tires r shot. They are 215/85/16 which are hard to find used. I can't afford new, hell I cent afford shocks......what other sizes could I use and stay with the factory rims without using spaces. Any ideas? I have 4:10 gears but hope to switch to 3:55s as soon as I can. This is a daily driver for me. Thanks n u can't believe how hard this was to type on my phone........lol

Badasp118

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The danger with using duals (or so I've heard) is they will sag and come into contact with each other if you weight the truck down close to its limit. If that happens, they can over heat and cause a blow out. Only 2nd hand knowledge though, I've never owned a dually and probably never will. Like the avatar, BTW

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The danger with using duals (or so I've heard) is they will sag and come into contact with each other if you weight the truck down close to its limit. If that happens, they can over heat and cause a blow out. Only 2nd hand knowledge though, I've never owned a dually and probably never will. Like the avatar, BTW

Exactly. That's why I said to check to make sure. I'm running those on my Chevy (the wheels are pretty much the same) and they don't get close at all. Usually 245 and bigger get way too close.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Absolutely 235/75/16 will be perfect and they are pretty much THE standard size it seems so they are everywhere used. :D

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it depends on the offset of your dually rims.they are not created equal.
they do make spacers to go between the rims so you have more space,but since your low on cash,thats likely out.

i love the 225/75/16's however i wouldn't do that with 4.10 gearing.
i recently scored a like new pair for my front,for my dually conversion for 25$ each.
last 4 like new was 50$ each.
i see more for cheap,but wont need them anytime soon lol.
(most people-myself included,dont like the looks of smaller tires on trucks.they're whats practical for my use with height and gearing though.)

you should find out what you have for dually rims.

ihatelaramie

Reaction score
My dad just picked up a 90 F350 dually that had 255/75/16s on the rear, on only one side :eek:. Don't know what the PO was thinking when he put that one together, but needless to say, the sidewalls are glazed and the rubber is considerably softer where they were rubbing. They have plenty of tread, but they're trashed :puke:.

BTW those tires were replaced this afternoon.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I replaced the tires onmy truck w/ 235s. The ran close but never showed a sign of contacting or rubbing. I was loaded heavy most of the time for a few years,never had a problem. My opinion only,and an opinion only!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With un-altered factory DRW spacing, you can run 215-85-16 (too short), 235-85-16, and best of all = 7.50-16.

The 7.50-16 is exactly the same height as a 235-85-16, without hardly being so fat.

The 7.50 is as it states, 7-1/2 inches wide; whereas, a 235 is 235 millimeters wide, or just at eight inches.

I am currently running genuine BIAS 7.50s on the rear of my DRW F-350.

I have also ran several sets of 235s on it, loaded as heavy as anyone is gonna be, with no problems.

The 235s get really close, but I never noticed them touching.

Although getting harder and harder to find, the 255-85-16 is a really good size, but with a loaded DRW a spacer between the wheels is a must. :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you get them 7.50-16 tires, all I've seen are 7.50-16.5

My family was in the tire business way before I was accidentally conceived and all attempts at aborting their mission had failed. :eek:

In all my years of tire business, I have never ever not-in-a-million-years ever never heard or seen a tire sized "7.50-16.5", never.

8.00-16.5 is as close as I ever saw to a 7.50-16.5.

I am not saying that they are not made, but that, if they are made, they are one rare bird.

There are, however, a few sets of size 7.50-16, in both radial and BIAS, laying in the floor, right beside the 235-85-16s.

Most "consumers" live in a steel-belted dream-world, thus not every "tire shop" is going to know of the existence of genuine 7.50-16s.

http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/sigma/lines.asp?sub=81&type=2&cat=63

The ones pictured on top are what is on the rear of my truck right now; they have already out-lasted any "steel-belted" radial that I have had back there, and are still nickel-deep in tread. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online