Tire Question 255 85 16

mackiexj

Modern Day Drifter
Reaction score
I need new tires and instead of being cheap I am going to get what I want, except they don't make what I want. I would love to have BFG ATs but they don't make it in that size (255 85 16). In fact there is almost nothing in the AT department in that size however there are a bunch of mud terrains in that size. Anyway it looks like my AT choices are Cooper Discoverer S/T or the Laramie Trailcutter Radial R/T. I have found mixed reviews on the Cooper and none on the Laramie. One other choice I am considering is the Interco (makes Super Swamper) Trxus MT but many of the reviews i read told of blowouts and that they didn't stand up on heavy trucks but worked great on jeeps. Anyone run this tire size or these tires brands? Anyone have any input? I am looking for a good AT that does good on ice and hardpack snow and lasts on the highway. There are lots of choices in 285 75 16 however I want the narrower tire for the better traction on snow and ice. Thanks

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Just be sure to keep an eye on the load rating (not sure how familiar you are with tire ratings). That was also a limiting factor on what I could run, well that and running DRW's.

RoyBoy

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Check out Toyo M55's. Not cheap by any means but hold up very well and have great traction;Sweet

I guess they are more of an M/T tire, but I figured I'd suggest it anyways.

mackiexj

Modern Day Drifter
Reaction score
Well i bout gave up on them and then found a set of 255 85 16 cooper s/t in stock so far i love them and even though they are narrower they handle better than the old cheapies that were on the truck, they also did much better than expected for 200 miles in a colorado snow storm, they have a 50,000 mile warrenty but we'll see how they hold up, one thing i hadn't thought of was the rpm reduction, speedo still reads the same with tac but according to my gps 66 is 70mph which is a bit over 200 rpm drop at crusing speed which hopefully means more mpg oh and they have a 3000lb load rating D which is plenty for what i use my truck for