Tire balancing beads

UMR_Engnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had Dyna beads in my 33" Goodyear Duratracs for a few years. I don't often get above 60mph, but it drives smooth.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Alex, I'm using Equal balance media in the dually tires and air soft bb's in the Superduty tires. Happy with both types.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running airsoft BBs in 285/75r16 Duratracs since 2012. Same issue with caliper clearance for aftermarket wheels. I can't remember how much weight I put in each but I referred to a chart online from one of the bead manufacturers. They've worked great for me!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running airsoft BBs in 285/75r16 Duratracs since 2012. Same issue with caliper clearance for aftermarket wheels. I can't remember how much weight I put in each but I referred to a chart online from one of the bead manufacturers. They've worked great for me!

+1 airsoft pellets. Cheap and easy to find. Make sure you put the correct amount in by weight! Too little and it won't balance. I will never go back.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Dang.....

Y'all are making me want to go buy some spoons/hazard fraught tire changer and a few containers of Airsoft BB's...... I rotate my tires, normally at each oil change, but don't have the ability to balance them. I'd say what I would spend at Hazard Fraught once, a full set of balances, I would probably be money ahead after 1 round. Plus, I could do the trailers.....

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snicklas, local tire shop charged me $70 to install 4 15" tires on loose rims for the car. A couple changes would definitely pay for the tools.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Dang.....

Y'all are making me want to go buy some spoons/hazard fraught tire changer and a few containers of Airsoft BB's...... I rotate my tires, normally at each oil change, but don't have the ability to balance them. I'd say what I would spend at Hazard Fraught once, a full set of balances, I would probably be money ahead after 1 round. Plus, I could do the trailers.....
I'm really starting to lean this way myself. I have a Harbor Freight bead breaker and am getting ready to order a better one. I've had this one for about four years and have already saved myself enough money just from ATV tires to pay for the better quality one.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is hack you can do to these tire changers (the manual cheap things). The biggest problem is securing them - (bolting them to the floor). I don't have a nice spot to bolt mine, I have used a sheet of 3/4 plywood as a temporary base... works but still a PITA. What I did was welded a 2" quare tube to the side of the vertical pipe so it can be inserted in a hitch reciever - now I have lots of choices of where to secure it and I can even take it on road trips (think ATVing...).

264WSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The beads will work if you start off from a stop slowly. If you start off fast the beads will will gather in one area and actually cause a balance and vibration issue. By starting off slow the beads have a chance to spread out before centrifugal force holds them still. The beads are really made for big trucks that have less tire rotations per mile and start off from a stop much slower.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The beads will work if you start off from a stop slowly. If you start off fast the beads will will gather in one area and actually cause a balance and vibration issue. By starting off slow the beads have a chance to spread out before centrifugal force holds them still. The beads are really made for big trucks that have less tire rotations per mile and start off from a stop much slower.

I would disagree with that IMHO. I'VE Boiled the tired off both of these trucks and cruised like a grandpa. The balance beads and media have kept both size tires in check to where I cannot feel any vibrations and tire wear has been even.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never associated my IDI as "starting off fast" :rotflmao I use beads on my wife's Caravan, daughter's Accord, son's Ranger... anything with a 65 aspect ratio or higher. Never had a problem. Beads are not recommended for very high acceleration (sport or drag cars) because there will be an imbalance during (unreasonable to and IDI) acceleration. High speed is not a problem, its the acceleration that does not allow beads to adjust and do their thing.

My Caravan rims were particularly crappy at collecting mud or ice on the inside of the rims... always out of balance. I put beads in and now they are always in balance. So even if you do a traditional balance thow a few beads in afterwards for the perfect balance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online

No members online now.