Tire balancing beads

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking for others opinions on tire balancing beads. If you have used them what do you think compared to standard wheel weights? I have just a regular all-terrain 265/75-16 tire on the truck that I would be using them in. It also has aluminum wheels which is why I'm not a huge fan of the standard weights and I can't use the stick-on style due to caliper clearance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you read through the tire shop rant thread? There was some discussion in there about it.
I must have missed that thread, I'll have to go look again. Guess I didn't search for the right thing, lol!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have guys with super swampers using them with good results. You really can't fit any stick on?

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@no mufflers, nope. I had stick ons with the steel wheels years back and they just barely cleared. The American Racing wheels I have on now are very tight to the calipers as is. I tried the stick-ons with them and they would hit when I spun the wheels.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could do a balance with stick on just on the inside of the wheel. That should clear the caliper and if you don't need much weight should ride good. I have yet to use the beads or sand in a tire but I believe it's based on the size tire mainly.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are different size stick ons if you really wanted to avoid beads. Low laying 1/4 oz weights are less than a 1/16th tall, are the wheels that close?

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for beads, it's all brand dependant. Some want the bag thrown in on purpose, some want special valve cores, and all vary based on size,profile, and Id vs od. I.e. a 33x12.5x22 won't use the same as a 33x12.5x15 depending on manufacturer of the beads, and they all ride a little different too. Some I've felt ride great. Others, not so much. I have tons of experience with them, and all I can say with certainty is that no two scenarios were alike.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for beads, it's all brand dependant. Some want the bag thrown in on purpose, some want special valve cores, and all vary based on size,profile, and Id vs od. I.e. a 33x12.5x22 won't use the same as a 33x12.5x15 depending on manufacturer of the beads, and they all ride a little different too. Some I've felt ride great. Others, not so much. I have tons of experience with them, and all I can say with certainty is that no two scenarios were alike.
Is there a certain brand you prefer? I've looked at Dyna Beads and Equal brands. There really is very little room at the calipers. I'll have to get some pictures of it tomorrow. I've been having the lead weights only installed on the inside bead, but I really don't feel like just doing the inside bead makes them as smooth as doing both beads. That's why I'm considering the balance beads.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could say there was. I dealt more with equal, but it was a crapshoot regardless of brand.Sometimes it was a huge improvement,other times it was a definite flop. Best you could do is try it, I know it can be expensive, but it's cheaper than those balance plates that go behind the wheel lol. And for sure, there are very few situations where a static balance even comes close to a dynamic (both beads balanced) and I really doubt yours is one

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for your input @BR3 I guess I'll probably give the beads a try sometime. Equal seems to be a little easier for me to get ahold of. One more question though, I'm assuming I need to pull all of the weights off when I install the beads? Am I correct in my thinking?

Reactions: BR3

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100%. It would be very bad not too haha. I think a major producer (equal? Been a while since I looked.) has a YouTube video of the concept behind them if your curious.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
With the dodge 3500 I had, put brand new tires on and requested beads, didn't realize til I got home they used the clip on weights.
But it was really smooth. Had them switch to beads, never matched the weights. Certain speeds would shake.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the beads on a set. One trip smooth then another it would be kinda out of balance. Went back to stick ons put in the very center and missed the caliper.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online