Tips on rebuilding ford posi?

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be regearing my 10 1/4 very soon and would like to rebuild the trac-loc. I tried calling the Ford dealer for a clutch kit but it is no longer available. Any suggestions for where to get a clutch kit and does anyone have the part numbers for it? Also can anyone give instructions on the best/easiest way to rebuild it?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Look up Randy's ring and pinion for rebuild kits

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best advice is to pitch it in the trash and buy a traction aiding device that actually works. True trac, Auburn, Detroit soft locker, etc. They will all make a factory trac loc look sick. Night and day difference...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clutch kits if you google "10.25 Ford posi clutch kit" they can be found.

I wont do a TECH 101 on google and how to use it to find stuff, as most people can manage at least that, however today I'm feeling SaSsY so here is a link just as I said to do. FIND what you are looking for in parts order them and away you go.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=10.2...j60j61j0l2j60.7681j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Most factory posi work well for averge joe user. If you want it tighter don't add as much friction modifier in! Start a few ounces low on modifier, try out your diff...if too tight, add 1/2 ounce and test again. Keep doing this till it's tight but not too tight, as you CANT go backwards and remove the modifier go slow!

Once you have a Magic potion write it down and do change fluids per factory manual. This is what helps preserve them, as opposed to lack of maintanence which is what kills them.

As for rebuilding tips, I don't have any as I've not done this particular diff now will I in all likely hood.

Not able to recall whom but someone here has and said. OMG hard!

Al

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have built many 8.8/9inch/10.25 lockers, All basically the same as far as clutch packs.
I can shim any pak to hold the tires all day long just like a locker.
The clutch is made to eventually tear away and allow slippage but you can reshim the units
to your liking, been doing this for 20 years.
The biggest concern is the noise it makes when turning and the lack of quality fluids
used.
After any build I do I can let it make all the noise it wants for however long it takes to wear in
during normal driving, or do about 5 or 6 figure eights and that will set the clutches for a quieter operation yet still hold
like a locker.

After 20 years of doing this I find the AMSOIL gear oil "alone" with no modifier leaves the least amount of wear and deposits and the clutches never
show any type of wear or distress.

The 10.25 OEM clutch differential is well made and can handle the abuse when properly lubricated.

Javier

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help. The posi had worked good until I changed the gear oil to Amsoil but I had also added the friction modifier. I think I am going to try running Amsoil alone as idiabuse suggested before I accuse the clutches of being bad. After everything I have read it seems it can be quite a chore to replace the clutches.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I have not done a ford diff, I have other clutch type diffs. I would use shims and even made some of my own, and built a tool to attach to a torque wrench to measure break away. I did this for my race car to have different diff settings for different tracks, and it was much easier than I thought it would be when I did it for the first time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online