TIMING

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it's cool (30 F) my truck starts ok but not great. Not plugged in. I keep reading about proper timing on the IDI. From what I've read, the inj pump should be turned toward the pass side of the truck if looking at it from the front or radiator toward the back of the vehicle. My inj pump is turned toward the drivers side. I don't know of the previous timing of this pump. It does seem to run good (no smoke). I've checked all glow plugs--good. The inj pump does have a label that states that it's a reman. Any help or insight is welcome!!!!

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You turn it to the pass. side to advance the timing. As the pumps get older, they tend to retard, so you turn it to the pass side to counter act this.

Rough starting can also mean air leaks. When your truck is all warmed up, give 'er pedal to the metal... what colour is your smoke? Grey, black?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where the lines fall has no bearing on if your truck is really timed correctly or not. Yes, in general what you describe would indicated a retarded position, but this doesn't mean the line is in the right place, or that the timing is retarded! I've timed trucks and had them come out so that the line is anywhere from 1/8" to the retarded side, all the way to as far as it will go the other way (about 3/8"). A meter is what you should be looking at. Not a line.

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the truck do that you feel it isn't right?

It's not that I don't feel that the truck isn't right. I've just watched some stuff on utube and such of cold IDI's starting and mine didn't seem equal. Just trying to make sure that what I've got is correct. About a month and I'll know better when it gets good and cold.

Also, if I were to get my truck timed PROPERLY what equipment do I need to ask the diesel shop if they have to do it right?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the Snap-On MT-1480 with pulse adapter. That or the Rotunda meter are the ones that most shops are going to have.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it easy to install one of the injection pumps and time them correctly using directions?

Also when that is being done, what would you have to deal with replacing to replace the head gaskets? The pushrods?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All things are relative. Read the link in my sig on the fuel system service and decide for yourself, if it is easy or hard. I usually don't associate changing out a pump with renewing gaskets or drivetrain parts, but depending on what you want to replace, the pump will have to come out, so yea if your going to do it, that'a a good time.