TIMING QUESTION

omedrud

Reaction score
ok first off let me start on what i have and then go from their its a 90 ford 7.3 idi N/A its got the 5 speed man trans so hears the question is this my fuel mpg was relly sucking bad (i would get 8 in town and 12 on highway with no load) so i did a bunch of things that i have read on hear and found on youtube i cut the soup bowl down to about less then 3 inches and timed it the mark on the i/p was ground off and a new mark was scribed in the side or cut ( its hard to tell ) so i timed it moved the i/p 1/16th of an inch to the drivers side and tightened er down and fired it up and am getting lotts of white smoke when cold and when it warms up it dose not smoke at all :eek: in less i hot rod it and also what i found is it ( timeing by ear ) that it got relly quite and sounds kinda like a 6.0 and when your doing like 60 65 70 you can not hear the engine at all ( with the radio off :sly of corse ) it seams to idle a lot smother than before and when you shut it off it dose not rattle down it just shuts off so my question i gess is it possable to retard the timeing so much that it cuts cylanders out ?? or did i just get lucky on my first try with the timing and i gess their is one more question becuse it is smokeing so much white smoke when cold did i retard it too much ?:dunno

any help or thoughts would be great thanks in adavance

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compare the way it runs when hot, to the way it runs when cold with the cold timing advance actuated. White smoke is defintiely not a good thing. That said, it can be caused by leaking injectors also. Your best bet is to get your injectors tested and to have the engine dynamically timed by the proper person and equipment.

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you turned the pump to the drivers side, you retarded the timing, that could be why you are getting white smoke and why it got quieter. To advance it, twist the pump towards the passenger side, it will get louder the farther you go. Just try it a 1/16" at a time and drive it to see if the mileage improves any, then adjust it a little more. Or get it properly timed, and your mileage will improve as much as your setup will allow.

omedrud

Reaction score
When you turned the pump to the drivers side, you retarded the timing, that could be why you are getting white smoke and why it got quieter. To advance it, twist the pump towards the passenger side, it will get louder the farther you go. Just try it a 1/16" at a time and drive it to see if the mileage improves any, then adjust it a little more. Or get it properly timed, and your mileage will improve as much as your setup will allow.
ok thinks ya it only smokes when cold being up hear in montana thats kinda offten but with in five min of starting the truck it stops and their is no exahast smoke that is seen but when driveing when you shift gears it smokes just a little bit of white smoke and back to black I/P is turned up 1/1/4 flat my question is if i run a different fuel will i get better miliage it was around 9 mpg did not matter highway or city now it sems to get better milage but do not have numbers yet and what all can i do to get better milage with this truck any help would be great one more question what did these trucks get stock when they were new ??:dunno

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck gets 14 in the city and 18 on the highway all i do is pour some power service fuel aditive. also i dont hot rod it

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usuallt these idi guel systems last around 125,000 miles. By then the pump is worn out and the injectors are low on pop pressure. Some even leak thru. Changing your timing like you posted is retarding the timeing. So now the engine runs quieter and you have white smoke from unburned fuel. Move the timing towards the passenger fender about what you moved it towards the drivers side fender. I'll bet you mileage picks up and the smoke stops...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online