Timing problems

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the hell is that kind of a question?

You said they were in the hard line. I found a picture of one. It goes in between the flare and nut. That makes sense. I see those all the time. But I've never heard them called olives.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nothing fits between the flair and the nut. The fuel filter inlet hard line from the mechanical lift pump has the 3/8 olive in the TOP brass fitting. Not the bottom flared fitting. Then the hard line from the filter to the actual injection pump has an olive in both ends of that 5/16 line. That "kit" offered from Cardone has what you need and more. That large o ring is the injection pump seal to the gear housing and those 3 bolts are the drive flange bolts. Hope this helps more in understanding what the terminology is for these parts. In future looking at the idi fuel system anything you see these particular brass fittings you will know what they are and what is inside them. On some engines the return line off the top of the injection pump also has this same olive seal in it. There actually is no need for that line to be hard all the way to the injection pump. You can cut it off so pump installs and timing adjustments are easier to do. Some 7.3 engines had the same hard line and some did not. I had this on my 89 engine and finally replaced it with the return line kit made just for the engine. But before you try to change from the green clamp returns to the large red return clamps return line kit you need 2 other fittings to math up to the larger lines.

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Then what it is this thing? This is the picture I found searching "olive" and found this in an air intrusion thread. I believe gandalf said that the old one is on the line and the new one is beside it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Then what it is this thing? This is the picture I found searching "olive" and found this in an air intrusion thread. I believe gandalf said that the old one is on the line and the new one is beside it.

Those are both olives. The one on the line is old and "petrified" and the new one is on the notebook with the arrow pointing to it.......

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just saying, that looks to me to be between the flare and the nut.

Thanks for the better description of this "flare" you posted about. You were correct and I was incorrect based on what I felt you had posted about a flare. I believe this type fitting is a special vibration illimitater fitting and a bad one at that. You do not want to tighten down the brass not all the way because it will do no good doing that. But getting it correct is a feel idea. The line MUST be forced deep into the female piece of this fitting. Hold the line deep in the fitting and slide the olive and nut up and start threading it on the female fitting. The only reason the line has the modified flare is to keep the olive on it. No real seal takes place there but surely the olive may touch it what tight. The olive will crush to the line and create the seal needed and stop any fuel pulse vibrations

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. That's an absolutely wonderful idea. :rotflmao Anyways I ordered the Cardone kit, I should have it today but it's supposed to rain after work. And tomorrow. :mad: Any tips as to getting those on? Just a bunch of lube?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting the old olives off may be the difficult part. They become hard and mine were threaded into the nut, and rotated on the line as the nut rotated. I stabbed the olive with a dental pick and threaded the nut off, then cut the olive off. I have heard of folks burning them out, but that seems extreme. Lube with petro jelly aka vaseline or lube of your choice, same as injector "O" rings.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting to get a little ****** here are we?
I love it when people reject your input after asking for it.
Also the knowitall mister wizzard who won't listen to any other viewpoint!

Last edited:

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting to get a little ****** here are we?
I love it when people reject your input after asking for it.
Also the knowitall mister wizzard who won't lisren to any other viewpoint!

...huh?

The old olives were stuck to the end of the line, I just sliced them off with a utility knife. They didn't stick in the nuts. Of course I say that and now when I go to get the third one out of the lift pump line it'll get stuck in the nut

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
They do become hard and are very difficult to get out of the nut. Some like to soak over night in brake fluid to soften them. I just use a dental pick and stay at it till they break up. As for the install on the line with the flare its not problem. They just slip over the flare easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online