Timing by sound?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I think this subject has come up before, but I cant find it, I got a borrowed pump (thanks Petri317!) and stuck it on, it is LOUD, but sounds good, just a little advanced, so I figured I should back it off a bit, am I right? How much? any other advice?

Thanks!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Timing by ear is not something i would recommend... but I have done it one more than one occasison.

Warm up the truck run down the road and if it wants to pick up a tapping noise or ticking then you have it too far advanced. You want to be just right under the point where it wants to predetenoate at above 2k with a slight load (not in park in the driveway)

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hjave set timing by sound on gassers but not with diesels. One time I was timing a friends mothers car and he wanted to time it by using a timing light. I told him i don't need a timing light as I do it by ear. After I timed it by ear he out the timing light on it and it was dead on as i told him it would be.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I hjave set timing by sound on gassers but not with diesels. One time I was timing a friends mothers car and he wanted to time it by using a timing light. I told him i don't need a timing light as I do it by ear. After I timed it by ear he out the timing light on it and it was dead on as i told him it would be.

Not only that, often times "dead on" by the marks is not where the engine operates best. I would assume that could be the case with these motors as well.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally don't see a problem backing off timing to reduce noise. After I got my wrecker I backed off the timing and it is much more driveable now.

Where you get in trouble with timing by ear is with overadvanced timing. I think people get into the "If some is good, more is better" mentality.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it sounds like a Detroit when you rev it, then back it off. Really though, to get optimum power and economy, you need to get it timed right. Anything less, and your giving something away probably.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
A real timing light is on the toys list, but not in the budget yet :D of course, neither was an IP! :backoff

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
been timing them all by ear, guess it goes back to the race car days, just because the light says it is in spec isnt always the best, especially with worn parts. cant tell ya how many small block chevys when set by the light were not tuned optimal, always needed some tweaking, either some advance or some retardation.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea Nick, you and I can do it, but how do you describe it to somebody else? I've even found myself to be off a degree or two.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, I have never owned a diesel before, and HAD to time mine by ear. I called about 30 places within about 1 hour or so of here and no one timed 6.9's! Maybe I am way off, but I doubt it. Truck starts easy, no excessive smoke of any kind etc. no excessive noise etc. Would love to have it timed, just no one around here to do it, so what is a guy to do! :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's a guy to do? Come to the IDI Weekend in southeastern Indiana next July, that's what.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I live it is around $70.00 ( Atlanta ). I am thinking of getting a Ferret 765 pulse adapter an sharing the cost with a friend.
usually 1/2 hour around here $60.00

Last edited: