Time for new battery cables...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
94Turbo said:
I guess what Im trying to say is 4 year old batteries are living on borrowed time and if you spend all your cash on new cables and terminals and then have to turn around and get batteries anyway that would suck especially if all they needed was a good cleaning and a few terminal ends.
I understand your point, but we didn't test the cables on a whim. They're looking pretty bad, and I'm not just talking about the terminal ends...some insulation's coming off at various points (mainly in the negative cables, but a few points on the positive cable as well...at least it was nowhere near metal), and the cable underneath did NOT look good. I almost replaced the cables in '04 when I had the engine apart; now, I wish I had...but such is life, eh?

BTW, my buddy said that he would have expected to see a 150 milivolt drop on each negative cable, and a 100 milivolt drop on the positive cable. Unless he was flat-out wrong on that, I do not see how losing 3 times that much voltage in just the cables (we didn't test voltage drop across the starter) can be anything other than a bad thing...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I bought some cables from Wrangler NW Power Products in Portland Oregon. Then I bought their military style clamps and soldier type lugs. It sure looks and works for me. Phone number is 503-235-4110. Price was $.85 for the positive end on 12-01.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back up...

The Warden said:
Real quick question...the negative cable on the starboard side battery had a small wire going into the terminal at the engine block. The wire went up under the inner fender assembly, and I can't figure out where it went off to. Does anyone know where this wire goes to? I cut the wire to get the cable out (thinking that I can splice a connector in or something if all else fails), but it'd be nice to replace it as well if possible. I assume it's the body ground...
Anyone know about this? Thanks! :cool

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Bringing this thread back up...

Anyone know about this? Thanks! :cool
If you mean the passenger side there is one small one going from the block to the frame at the inner fender.
I made that one out of 6 ga.