Throwing ideas around...250HP daily driver IDI?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
my goal with the terra is to get reliable 250HP. can this be acheived without a turbo? i know on a gasser some timing tweaking and carb tuning can net qute a few ponies, along with emissions removal...shh LOL. the diesels though are pretty straight forward...air, fuel, runs. not much to "tweak" with inbetween. i don't want to risk damaging it as i want to use it everyday, plus it cost enough to build i don't want more work! cookoo

and eventually i'll probaly do some form of turbo. :sly

-Jon

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I cannot see how as most people with turbos cannot even break 200 hp according to the rally dynos.

For no turbo I would think higher compression would help- but that is counter- intuitive to a future turbo and would not help THAT much.

I say not possible unless belching black smoke overfueling and maybe some kinda crazy huge ram air intake... and even then you likely will not see 200 and you would just melt the thing.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I cannot see how as most people with turbos cannot even break 200 hp according to the rally dynos.

For no turbo I would think higher compression would help- but that is counter- intuitive to a future turbo and would not help THAT much.

I say not possible unless belching black smoke overfueling and maybe some kinda crazy huge ram air intake... and even then you likely will not see 200 and you would just melt the thing.

250 at the crank might be possilbe not at the wheels, when i had my motor making the most power i went threw lots of timing adjustments and the one that gave methe most power was when i hsd the pump turned as far as it would turn( the lines were bingding it up, it sounded like a psd runnin but it would haul ass, i had the fuel turned up almost 2 flats and a ram-air intake and 3 inch exhuast, but with my timing it would bur tips off the glow plugs pretty quick, first set of plugs burned out for some unknown reason second burnerd cause the damn controller stuck, then after that my timing ate the timps off rather quick, but with my mods it would pull my truck up the 7% grade mountain 65 in 4th, now i have dropped my timing back about were it should be, and im probly about to turn down the fuel

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would have to use drugs, and even then without the additional air flow of an intercooled turbo, the EGT's would limit the useability of that horsepower to a few seconds. :dunno

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ah..well a boy can dream..... ;p cookoo what's the most power out of a DRIVEN IDI, not something thats just for pulls or torn apart yearly etc.?:confused:

-Jon

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember a guy on another forum with an non-gated ATS turbo, marine-code injectors, and turned up pump putting down 289/548 on a dyno in TX. That's by far the highest #'s I've heard of.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
ah..well a boy can dream..... ;p cookoo what's the most power out of a DRIVEN IDI, not something thats just for pulls or torn apart yearly etc.?:confused:

-Jon

mine moves pretty damn good for n/a when its running right, it weird some days it runs good, other days it sucks, the day i recorded the 4400 rpm run was not the worst day, but not the best one neither, today it was running great

mj05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a guy who liked putting headers on these na motors and claimed his truck(s) ran almost as good as a turbo version? :dunno Not sayin he's right on, just that I remember hearin something about it.

bowedup2003

Reaction score
I dyno'd my truck NA shortly after a complete 100% rebuild w/ the ZF 5-speed and 4.10's and it pulled 125hp/256tq at the rear wheels in 4th.

I had it dyno'd again after I put the Banks wastegated turbo setup on and had the pump turned all the way up w/ 3.73's and the same tranny and it pulled 156hp/298tq in 4th at the rear wheels. Even if you add in the approx. 20% drivetrain loss that is still only about 187hp at the flywheel.

I would like to dyno it again now that I have the timing advanced alittle, propane injection, and 5.13 gears and see what (if any) difference it made on horsepower.

On a side note, are my Hp/TQ numbers pretty much average or am I on the low side compared to the other members? I have always read that the 7.3L IDI's w/ factory turbo were detuned so they would be less Hp that the 1994 Powerstroke 215hp engine, but I sure can't see it...

Bowedup

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online