this isn't normal is it?

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
This was just after I started up my truck. Didnt give it any fuel, just cycled the plugs twice and it cranked for a lil while till it started up rough. I dont know if its oil or what. I just put this turbo on, maybe it's leaking out of the turbo? I have noticed I hardely get any turbo whistle unless I put my foot into it pretty good, and then it lets off quick. I never had marks like this before though..

You must be registered for see images attach

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My benz does this too! Its slowly improving, but I still try to avoid parking on white concrete driveways LOL.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Maybe that's what it is. Exhaust is only like a week old, maybe the soot isnt sticking to the inside of the exhaust yet. And the moisture loosened up what did stick. It was really foggy last night/this morning. I hope that's all it is.

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like soot to me. my old truck with a stack used to blow that stuff allover the roof of the cab and on anything in the bed. I put a rain cap on the stack and that ended the mess...........

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
damn.. I'm glad I didn't go with stacks like I wanted to then! I'd hate to have this crap all over my truck. Like I said, it was really damp out, hopefully you guys are right and it's just soot.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Soot + Condensation = Nasty mess.

My 300D does this too... I park in the same spot every day at work, there's a nice mess on the concrete where the tailpipe is.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, you wouldn't get oil spattering out of the exhaust like that unless you were running a crank case evac system into the exhaust stream and even then you shouldnt get that much. That looks like soot to me.
Nice exhaust system BTW.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
normal I would say. mine does it everytime I start it up. We have snow right now and I see that nice mess all over the snow.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn.. I'm glad I didn't go with stacks like I wanted to then! I'd hate to have this crap all over my truck.

You use turnout stacks for that, like aussies or bull-haulers... and then spend a weekend on your buddy's house, but at least siding is easier to clean than a truck, lol

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
haha I think I'll just stick with my factory style exhaust. Stacks are cool but they're loud and I don't wanna deal with that soot. Plus when I get my bedside riding toolbox in I'd have like 6' of bed left to fit a 3 wheeler or whatever I'm carryin.

And thanks Sean. I'm pretty happy with it. Other than an exhaust leak above the y pipe before the turbo right now but hopefully that'll fill with soot soon. If not I'll take it apart n fill the gap. Sucks having a shiney tip behind tires that sling a lot of rocks though haha i like keeping things nice but its tough to do in this situation.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
look in the second pic right inside of the exhaust tip that dark cirle is soot and water. when the exhaust cools condensation gathers and catches the soot in it

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Here was my exhaust, looks like you used basically the same stuff. I am running a crank case evac system like I talked about earlier, thats the weird little pipe I welded into the main tube. IIRC my system is 5" pipe with a 6" tip, I'd have to go measure it to be sure though. My tail pipe looks to be much shorter than yours for some reason. I don't have to worry about it getting sprayed with rocks or mud because it sits inside of the wheel track.
I think I have a total of $150 into this system. Only got to drive it one time, 1 mile.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I bought my 4" tailpipe on summit for ~$60. It's for an OBS powerstroke. Ran a small section of 3" pipe after my 3" banks dp to get it horizontal, then a 4"-3" reducer to run 4" pipe the rest of the way to the 5" tip. Paid 65 for tailpipe and reducer, 40 for the silverline tip and it cost me 60 to get it installed. Owner of exhaust shop is a friend so I just got charged for parts (tube / clamp over reducer)

your setup looks nice! didn't know you could get a 5" tailpipe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726