This is why we don't like TTB's

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see the OP’s point tho, he is saying that instead of taking his truck apart and spending the time to rebuild his clapped out Dana 50 to fix his wear problems he would rather upgrade to a Dana 60.
Sounds good to me and for everyone that seems to love the Dana 50 it’s just another complete Dana 50 for sale. Everyone wins :Thumbs Up
I cringe everytime I see the swap, too similar to ditching the a quadrajet for an edelbrock or holley. TTB is pretty much the misunderstood quadrajet of the suspension world.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I see the OP’s point tho, he is saying that instead of taking his truck apart and spending the time to rebuild his clapped out Dana 50 to fix his wear problems he would rather upgrade to a Dana 60.
Sounds good to me and for everyone that seems to love the Dana 50 it’s just another complete Dana 50 for sale. Everyone wins :Thumbs Up
Right, but if going for a used one, chances are it'll almost need new everything. So add that onto the purchase price. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gfemling

Reaction score
Mine is definitely toast though, the front leaf springs are sagged to within 3/4 an inch of the bump stops,
Sounds similar to what I had on my 87 F250 but had been that way since new. My understanding is same spring pack (for similarly rated FE) on 250 & 350. My analysis is TTB loads the spring on each side more due to shorter lever arm- individual suspension beam from pivot to spring .vs. each spring “seeing” half front end weight. This proved out when I swapped on D60 with same springs and clearance to bump stop increased nearly an inch.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the TIB and the TTB are my worst pet peeves on these trucks.
that's why I went to GM 2wd suspension :)

You must be registered for see images attach

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My alignment guy charges 60 bucks to do a solid axle.
Double that to do a ttb the right way. He owns one and it does not wear tires.
can you hook a fellow oregonian up? I have a dana 44 "HD"

I'm about to get new tires and don't want to ruin them. Had mine aligned a while ago. Mine might just be toe'd wrong now, the old tires continued to wear poorly.

I replaced the tie rods and ball joints, adjustable camber bushings. Hell maybe I should try it myself

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm that sure looks to be a little more work than swapping in D60 ;-)
lol, he said "a little" , try ALOT ;)
4wd was not the goal.
I have a few of those already.
gotta have something different to play with

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1988 Ford F250 4x4 Lariat Edition that is all original does it have a ttb?

All f250's came with the ttb stock. All f350's came with the dana 60 after mid year 1985. Before mid year 1985 all f350's had the dana 50 ttb.

F250 standard cabs came with the dana 44HD ttb. Some had a special order dana 50 ttb with a standard cab. All f250 extended cab came with a dana 50 ttb.

No dually pickups before the superduty came with 4x4. Only chassis cab dually trucks came in a 4x4 version. Any 4x4 dually pickup you see before the superduty around 1999 has been converted with a chassis cab frontend.

Last edited:

rempfer

Reaction score
Thank you. Mine is a standard cab. I had trouble with outside edge front tire wear until an excessive camber issue
was corrected. Now all seems hunky dory.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online