THIS IS A MUST READ.

Rollings

Reaction score
i know most of u are into running the 2 stroke oil but have any of u went another route, lets say running atf and im not talkin type F either, but if u havent tried it, u may want to think about running atf. gas mileage went up a couple mpgs and smoke went up as well if u like that kind of thing

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sulfur itself does not effect the lubricity, but the process to remove the sulfur also reduces lubricity. They are supposed to put it back in ULSD to the 520 HFRR level, but this MAY not be enough and furthermore, quality may vary. Using 2-cycle oil is probably OK, but it is expensive. I would rather use a bit of vegetable oil with the Power Service. The PS is great because of the water killing quality (white bottle) and the cetane boost.

I agree and that's why I took the "article" with a grain of salt. I could be wrong, but I don't believe mineral sulfur (as found naturally occuring in petroleum) is the same thing that is used as an EP lube. And I don't believe an EP lube would make a big difference in the wear of injection parts, EP lube is for hypoid gears which have a wiping motion as they work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's happened before. Well only once.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know most of u are into running the 2 stroke oil but have any of u went another route, lets say running atf and im not talkin type F either, but if u havent tried it, u may want to think about running atf. gas mileage went up a couple mpgs and smoke went up as well if u like that kind of thing

I used to use it occasionally for cleaning the injectors many years ago, never checked fuel mileage with it. Had a good long talk about dyed fuel and additives like tranny fluid, that use the exact same dye as off road fuel, with a state trooper many years ago. Only reason I don't use it now is because of the dye.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the boy's Biodiesel and Diesel fuel we had sitting on the breakfast table in a milk jug for a few weeks. Had to be real carefull there! LOL

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
2 cycle in engine oil & fuel

About 14-15 yr ago I had an E. Texas parts store guy try to get me to add about 1 oz of 2cycle per qt of engine oil to crank at oil change for anti wear & lubricity. He also advocated adding it to fuel too for lubricity.
Being how he supposedly used to be a "chemical engineer, or salesman, or something for an oil company", he swore & promised & crossed his heart & hoped to die & hock his first born if he was wrong. He told me about how everyone that was in the know was doing it, gassers as well as diesel burners.
Well I, being the curious creature I am, grudgingly & cautiously added some,& headed back to Oregon with one of my 30,000# plus GVW loads.
About 2:00AM next morning N. of Amarillo in the middle of gizillion miles to nowhere, I'm grinding along, big fire built in that thing, turbo wound up, pyro bumping 1200+/-, watching gauges, both H2O gauges & both oil gauges OK, listening & smelling of everything etc.....& I think I start hearing something not right.
Well I find a "rest area" pullout with a fencepost for a port-a-*****, get pulled in there to ck things out. Every lifter was clicking & rattling, an injector miss every few seconds, that thing quivering & shuddering every 10-15 seconds.....and my imagination got to running wild. Now I'm sure rods fixing to fly out of it.....& I'm convinced the 2cycle oil did it all!!:eek:
After I managed to get that thing cooled down, oil & water checked, etc, it ran great & stout rest way to Oregon.

Short of the story & in hind sight, I think I just had my engine a bit too hot, oil getting too thin etc....hot enough for the fuel to "vaporlock", or something.
I was running 30 wt Shell Rimulla oil back then, which I used to run in my semi's.
I didn't run anymore 2cycle in the engine oil after that, but always kept the info in the back of my mind.
When I think back thru the years at all the Hell & abuse I've given my engines, I'm convinced these IDI's gotta be tough!

As for as adding things to fuel, I'll add anything oily....ATF, WMO, oily floor sweep...anything that will manage to get thru my filters:D
But one thing I've figured out, with me running WVO in one tank & fuel in the other, if I add WMO to the fuel or to the WVO, it seems to clabber with the WVO & shorten the fuel filters life. ATF added doesn't seem to clabber.
I think I need to rig up separate fuel filters for each fuel tank, instead of running everything thru the same fuel filters....or don't burn WMO while I burn WVO.

Just thoughts along with my $.02....

jr182pilot

Reaction score
OK, before we get started on a Power Service bashing thread read everything. This guy has proven pretty much nothing about anything.
He leaves out information to his discredit and an MSDS sheet is pretty much worthless exept to Emergency response personnel and people who like to read them......Here's the rest of that line about lubricity.....
” Slickdiesel meets the new ASTM HFRR 520 Lubricity Specifications for the United States and the more stringent European Specification of 460 in most fuels.
Here's a little something else he left out on the Diesel Kleen that's on their website........
Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost contains Slickdiesel , a proprietary Power Service diesel fuel lubricator that exceeds the ASTM D-975 maximum specification for lubricity in Low and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels.Adding more lubricant to your fuel WILL increase the lubricating properties.He shows an MSDS sheet which doesn't say squat about lubricity OR the exact chemical make up which is withheld as a trade secret. Chemical Specific information is available to health professionals.
While I'm sure 2 stroke oil would probably make a good additive it would cost me twice as much for 1 qt per tank full the Power Service Diesel Kleen is costing me for 4 oz per tankfull.
I'll stick to my Power Service as it is a product that was made to be a diesel fuel additive, I've used it with great sucess for 20 years, it saves me money and it has helped my truck run noticably smoother, quieter and more powerfull since I started using it in her.

You and I both were thinking the same thing. :D

I just posted this on FTE, thought some you would like to read it as well.

After reading this link. Parts of what was said were to me BS. Everything that was said about Diesel Kleen was out of date or to me was just wrong. So I went to Power Service in an email and asked. Gave them the link as well.

Below is the reply from Power Service about what was said on his site.....

I do not work for Power Service, I only use thier procuct. Note: I have X'ed out some names....

Mr. jr182pilot,

Sad that so many try to be a beacon of knowledge without any of the real facts.

First of all he is using an outdated MSDS from back in 1998. There have been a lot of changes to our formulation of Diesel Kleen since that date and it is interesting that he choose not to use a current MSDS which can easily be obtained from us.
It is true that there are some additives out there that I consider Junk in a Jar, however Power Service Products has the best technology available in the market place and the technology that really works.

There have been many Third Party entities that have tested our products to determine their effectiveness and we have always performed well in these tests. For example, the Department of Energy in conjunction with Clean Cities Tennessee wanted to test Diesel Kleen to determine if it reduced emissions and improved fuel economy. To make the testing even more difficult they used a B20 blend (20% Soy and 80% Number 2 diesel fuel). Adding 20% Biodiesel makes the test harder for emissions because this causes NOx (Nitrogen Oxides) emissions to increase. NOx is one of the emissions that is very difficult to reduce. These are fine particles and a precursor to ground level ozone which is often called Urban Smog and it also contributes to Acid Rain. During the testing they found that Diesel Kleen reduced NOx from 9 to 28 percent which is outstanding. They also found that fuel economy was increased by about 5 percent which is what we advertise. Another example is Wal Mart used Diesel Kleen in their testing using their own equipment and testing facility. Their testing used highly accurate methods of measuring and they found that Diesel Kleen increase fuel economy good enough to more than pay for the use of the additive. Today they use Diesel Fuel Supplement in the winter months and Diesel Kleen in non-winter months in every load of fuel at their fleet transportation terminals across the USA.

These are just a couple of examples of who has tested our products and have verified the results. We have conducted many tests using fuels from across the USA to show our products are effective in preventing fuel gelling in winter, cleaning injectors, improving fuel stability and the lubricity of the fuel.

When it comes to lubricity I cannot tell you where he gets that our additive is no better than regular diesel fuel. His understanding is totally lacking on how this is achieved. Some of his facts are correct such as the HFRR 520 wear scar measurement, however he has not conducted any testing using this method with our fuel additive or he would not say what he did. In our Technical Bulletin it clearly says Diesel Kleen exceeds the ASTM D-965 lubricity standard. The HFRR 520 wear scar is the method that they use to measure the lubricity of the fuel. Wal Mart and many other companies have tested both Diesel Fuel Supplement and Diesel Kleen and have found that it is has an excellent lubricity package. Many of our customers have tested the fuel they are using and have found that some of the fuel completely fails the established HFRR 520 wear scar test while others barely meet the standard.

I have called and left a message with xxxxxx xxxxxx and I do hope he gives me a call so we can discuss his lack of facts and understanding on how fuel additives work.
I do thank you for the heads up on this website, however I can assure you that there are too many well educated companies out there that use our products, that have tested them and found them economical to use and effective. These huge companies would not be using our products if they did not work. These companies cannot be fooled by advertisement and they are not foolish enough to use our products unless they gave measured performance at a good cost.

When you use Diesel Kleen you are using the best technology available and are getting the best results for your money. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Best Regards,

Brian Wilson
Compliance Coordinator
Technical Advisor
800-643-9089

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figures,

I drove for many companies over the years and several of them would fire you on the spot if they found any additive bottles other than powerservice in your cab or found out you used something other than powerservice.

Usually they put a few jugs of the stuff in the side boxes for you when the truck was in the yard rolling through the inspection lane so you wouldn't have to buy it on the road.

Having spent the last 5 years of my military career in a petroleum laboratory, I've a pretty good idea about what I want to put in my tanks and where I want to buy it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been adding a 50/50 blend of 2 stroke oil and Powerservice for the last couple thousand miles. It hasn't affected my mileage one way or the other, but the truck is a lot quieter, and it smokes a slight bit more.
I previously added Stanadyne fuel treatment to every tank. I guess I haven't quite made my mind up about it yet.

Stanadyne is supposed to be the best, my pump guy doesnt push it to everyone because it is so good.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stanadyne is supposed to be the best, my pump guy doesnt push it to everyone because it is so good.

If I was to switch to something different than Powerservice it would be Stanadyne.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes