This is a good one

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think about his cylinder wash down theory? That was his guess as to why it would not fire off very well, no compression because the cylinder walls were washed down from so much ether being shot into the engine. When he finally did get it started, the blow-by was terrible coming out of the breather hose. But later on it started much easier and he mentioned the blow-by had settled down to a reasonable level.

That truck is a mess that is for sure, but the engine finally ran surprisingly well at the end I think.

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can believe it. My truck was in a similar condition when I got it. I found 10 cans or ether in it. I was sure it was blown up. Replaced glow plugs lift pump fuel filter and 2 batteries. Lots of cranking and it eventually fired. Smoked real bad but it ran and eventually cleared up. 4 years later still running and almost no blow by.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that the ether washed the cylinder walls. It would have to have remained in a liquid state as it were pulled through the turbo and the intake, and long enough in the cylinders to wet out the oil on the cylinder walls. I don’t think that’s the case. If the cylinder walls were “washed” I think it had to have come from lots of cranking with fuel and no glow plugs. Just my $.02

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that the ether washed the cylinder walls. It would have to have remained in a liquid state as it were pulled through the turbo and the intake, and long enough in the cylinders to wet out the oil on the cylinder walls. I don’t think that’s the case. If the cylinder walls were “washed” I think it had to have come from lots of cranking with fuel and no glow plugs. Just my $.02
From what I gathered watching the video, this engine was cranked cranked cranked, with no fuel to lubricate the cylinder walls, since the fuse was blown and the fuel solenoid on the pump was not activating. So no fuel was being added (lubrication) only the ether for who knows how many times before he got it and figured out the fueling problem. You can see the blow-by it had in the video when it finally started, it was pouring out of that hose.

The wash down theory was only a guess he had, since the blow-by did diminish and it started easier and ran better toward the end.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I gathered watching the video, this engine was cranked cranked cranked, with no fuel to lubricate the cylinder walls, since the fuse was blown and the fuel solenoid on the pump was not activating. So no fuel was being added (lubrication) only the ether for who knows how many times before he got it and figured out the fueling problem. You can see the blow-by it had in the video when it finally started, it was pouring out of that hose.

The wash down theory was only a guess he had, since the blow-by did diminish and it started easier and ran better toward the end.
Good points. I'm no expert, sounds plausible. It sure ran better with less blowby once it got going a bit. I wonder if that's just normal cold rings vs warm or what.

Although it just occurred to me that between the pre-cup and the little amount of ether we saw him use it seems like it would be hard for the ether to do anything harmful.
Though if the owner soaked it down that could be another story. And I wouldn't doubt if he had.

But the guy working on it said "these are low compression engines to start with"... ummm, no! :idiot:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
But the guy working on it said "these are low compression engines to start with"... ummm, no! :idiot:
That's one of the reasons why I said earlier that he doesn't know anything about these engines.
I also think that since the batteries were so low by the time that he tried the ether, it wouldn't have fired off anyway. If they had been charged up more, it may have fired off of ether.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think about his cylinder wash down theory? That was his guess as to why it would not fire off very well, no compression because the cylinder walls were washed down from so much ether being shot into the engine. When he finally did get it started, the blow-by was terrible coming out of the breather hose. But later on it started much easier and he mentioned the blow-by had settled down to a reasonable level.

That truck is a mess that is for sure, but the engine finally ran surprisingly well at the end I think.
I think carbureted gasoline engines are subject to cylinder washdown, and I think this mechanic has probably seen a fair bit of this to come to this conclusion. One thing that he's overlooking that pokes a big hole in this theory: IDIs have piston squirters. Even when you are cranking the engine, if it's got oil pressure, the cylinders are getting sprayed with oil by the squirters. I seem to recall 12 GPM at 3000ish RPM, so even at 300 rpm of cranking, the pump should be making 1.2 GPM. Lots of oil being applied = cylinder washdown highly unlikely. That's my .02.