Thinking of bidding on the Old ATS at evil bay...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not sure how to link to this auction or if that's even allowed, but there's an old style ATS/Garret non gated turbo on ebay priced pretty reasonably. From the description, it looks like it might need an overhaul. I'm just curious if I can still get parts for it or if I would be SOL. Looks like it might be aproject, like it might need quite a bit of extra hardware to make it fit. If anyone is curious themselves or wants to help me decide, go have a peak at it. I'm not sure what I might be getting myself in for so, Let me know what you all think.
J.D.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At's allowed. If you don't know how to make a link, just list the auction ID number, which always returns a unique search result.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Diesel JD said:
Hey guys, I'm not sure how to link to this auction or if that's even allowed, but there's an old style ATS/Garret non gated turbo on ebay priced pretty reasonably. From the description, it looks like it might need an overhaul. I'm just curious if I can still get parts for it or if I would be SOL. Looks like it might be aproject, like it might need quite a bit of extra hardware to make it fit. If anyone is curious themselves or wants to help me decide, go have a peak at it. I'm not sure what I might be getting myself in for so, Let me know what you all think.
J.D.
Hey JD, Is this it?
Item number: 220029055116
Looks a lot like my ATS non-gated turbo on my '90 7.3. Put mine on new in '90. Still blowing strong with a gizillion miles on it. But I've always believed in changing oil too, or at least keep oil in 'er.
Hard to say about the condition....sure looks shiney & pretty.
I didn't see any other hardware with it, no slip joint for the down pipe,etc.
I would think parts should still be available....around a turbo shop, or ATS.

Don't know how many $$ it take to snag, but if cheap enough, maybe worth a try, unless hardware &/or overhaul costs too much. Don't know.
James

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The reason it was so shiny is it was sand or bead blasted. If you buy it you better take it COMPLETELY apart and clean it up. That sand or beads get into everything. Trust me on this..... :eek:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at the picture of the inside, they sandblasted the impeller and everything they could reach. I would definitely look at that as a "project" turbo, to be completely rebuilt.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATS Turbo

The problem would be by the time you buy the missing crossover pipe, the Hat,Down pipe and the adapter from the Turbo to the manafold along with having it rebuilt.Along with comming up with a filter set up.
You might be as much as a new. .
I just bought a used Hypermax set up minus the pipes.
It turns out by the time I get it rebuilt and buy the pipes I will have spent almost the cost of new.
I would contact Ats and price out the parts first.
Good Luck
John

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like the same turbo I have!

There's a LOT missing from it...all the seals, the intake hat, all of the exhaust components (and I don't know how feasible it would be to fabricate the slip-fit, especially since the up-pipe side is cast-iron), the oil feed hose and elbows, the CDR valve adapter and related components, and I'm sure there's more that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

Chances are, by the time you got all the replacement parts, you'd be at almost the cost of a new one. Especially if the sandblasting may have damaged internal parts on the turbo. I think I'd pass...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Thanks Tim, I knew there was some stuff missing. I was curious if someone could tell me what was missing. Looks like probably more than I want to bite off. I think I'll pass on it. Anybody else, feel free to bid...

mainiac

Reaction score
I've got an 085 series ATS, non-gated, I got it with all the parts, including exhaust.
I contacted ATS for a few small pieces and found they have nothing left for the non-gated turbos, this was about a year ago.

You might call them and ask, they were nice enough over the phone, and provided as much info as I requested.
Mine works very well, no play and such, produces 15lbs at full throttle, loaded. Though, I rarely like to put it there.

If I had the choice to do it over again, I would buy a newer design. Probably ATS or Hypermax, more chances of getting parts if something craps out.

Good luck,
Mike

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will def. keep l;ooking. I'm inclined to buy a new unit, but I thought maybe I had found a sweetheart of a deal. My truck will be turbo'd at some point!
J.D.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking of bidding on the Old ATS at "evil bay"

Why do you call E-Bay that, I have bought over 100 items from E-bay and have only got burnt 2 times, biggest priced item was $40, and I don't know if they misrepresented the item or just didn't know what they were selling. If you have such a low opinion of E-Bay why go there and bid?

I today just got 6 remanned injectors for my L10 and only gave $158 for all 6, they are still wraped and boxed now if it was not for E-bay I would have given about $150 a piece for them but I was lucky I got them for such low price.

Jim

Last edited:

pafixitman

Reaction score
Jim,
I don't think it is a cut on eBay per say. I call it flea bay or evil bay. Lord knows I tend to spend money anytime I go there and hence the reason for naming it "evil bay". My feedback is 259 to give you an idea how much I use it. The wife's feedback is well over 100 also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Staff online

Members online