thermostat housing casting cracked

dulcevendetta

Reaction score
hey guys i cracked my thermostat housing casting on my 7.3 torquing it down too much -cuss I was wondering where I could find one online or if i have to hit up the stealership?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you get a good one, can I have your cracked one? I got some weld electrodes for cast iron that I've been itching to try out. or is that an aluminum piece? Heck I can't remember.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
They are cast iron on the 6.9 engines, at least.

Wow, if you broke that thing, you must have been using a 4 foot bar to tighten it down! Remember that the bolts only need about 25 ft. lbs of torque to maximize their holding potential. I am surprised that you didn't break a bolt instead.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys i cracked my thermostat housing casting on my 7.3 torquing it down too much -cuss I was wondering where I could find one online or if i have to hit up the stealership?

It wasn't because you torqued it down too much. You gotta tighten each side evenly, then torque it.

3/8-16 22-32 ft.lbs. 3/8-24 27-38 ft.lbs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sometimes the thermostat and gasket interfir. Then as you tighten it down it cracks the housing. Clean out the block really well so the stat can sit down in the groove better. Then use 3M weatherstrip cement for the gasket to the housing. Then a thin layer of rtv for the gasket to block. It wont crack nor leak...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online