Clutch pedal bracket crack

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @ludite will keep this in mind. No manual trans trucks at pick n pull in my area but maybe some a few hours away around PDX. Thinking a used ebay part may be a decent option since it's more guaranteed than visiting all the different pick n pulls. If replacing, would like to keep the old part and try to repair it

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If I know the pdx pick N pulls... Which I do... Chances of them being a manual is very small. The yards here are typically trash

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! Came down to pick n pull by Olympia to check on a truck that got here less than a week ago. turns out it was a manual but the pedal and clutch assembly has already been snagged!
Guess this is more in demand part than expected, pretty crazy.

Plenty of fish out there but PNP seems high effort and low return

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That's my experience. Another rotten one I've had, only at the Portland one, is that they pull all the unique parts off before dropping them in the yard. Any kind of turbo, superchargers, Dana 60's, powerstrokes, you name it. I tell everyone local only bother with them if you need body panels.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few summers back, there were a bunch of guys pulling just about every Ford Steering column in the yard.

Price`s at PNP have gone up 3 times this year, a complete door use to be $50, now about $85.
use to love the 50% off sales.

Checking all last summer seeing what new stuff is coming in the yards looking at www.row52.com.
We don`t get much new stuff here in the Carson City yard.
The other yard is Reno, 60 miles north of here. usually looks like a Bomb went off there the way stuff is tore apart.

I always tell people to pull stuff even if you don`t need it. You will eventually one day, when you do, that truck/trucks are crushed and that inventory is gone for ever.

Goat

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around me there are a couple people who buy up junk Ford trucks and part them out. If you have Facebook marketplace I’d do a search there.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eBay unit arrived and got inspected today. Seems to be in alright shape, this truck must’ve had pretty low miles judging by the pedal pads. Was gonna replace the plastic bushings but these seem in alright shape.. will probably have to remove the clutch pivot foot to accommodate the heim joint anyway so would probably be easy to do while in there.

If I can find the bushings locally may as well replace them but only seen them online, any thoughts either way?

Attachments

• 72F0E48F-FF14-460F-A18E-50B09787997C.jpeg
    72F0E48F-FF14-460F-A18E-50B09787997C.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 10

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have bought several sets from O'Reilly. They are in the Dorman help stuff, has been about 5 years since I have bought any though.

James

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I believe I had looked into those when I did my last ZF5 conversion, some years ago. McMaster carries a bushing that is almost identical to them, might have been a little longer and needed to be cut down but they are cheap enough and readily available.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you can get the bushing on Amazon too. I would at least take it apart and grease everything before you install it. Now would also be a great time to install a firewall stiffening plate, whether you make it or buy one.

My pedal bushings are worn, and I was toying with the idea of replacing them with oilite bearings or maybe needle bearings. Probably not necessary, but seems like a more permanent fix.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah a few bushings are available

Firewall stiffining bracket

Do the Heim Joint repair when you have it all apart. You will have the shaft it all hangs on in your hands. The little bent bracket with the pin sticking out. grind off the back side weld, knock it out. Then after you install the bracket assembly, install the bolt and Heim Joint etc....
this way you eliminate the bushing for the Clutch rod.

Goat

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I believe you can get the bushing on Amazon too. I would at least take it apart and grease everything before you install it. Now would also be a great time to install a firewall stiffening plate, whether you make it or buy one.

My pedal bushings are worn, and I was toying with the idea of replacing them with oilite bearings or maybe needle bearings. Probably not necessary, but seems like a more permanent fix.
They are likely too thin for needle bearings, although one could machine the bushing pockets open to accept a more robust bearing. There may not be a bronze or oil impregnated bushing made down to this thin of a wall either. The thinnest wall I usually see on those at this diameter is 1/16" which I believe is going to be almost double the thickness of the plastic bushings ford used. Dry running flanged sleeve bearings like these usually come in around .03125-.046ish.

There are some newer materials on the market now that could replace the OEM bushing and stand up to alot more punishment. I have used some very thin flange bushings made of a material called
Rulon J - Ultra high load and ultra low friction material. Stands up to quite a bit of punishment, temperatures, etc but its not cheap. Not uncommon to spend 60+$ per bushing of this size...

Alternatively just replace with the generic OEM PTFE stuff knowing that bushing probably hasnt been touched in the truck's life and will probably never have to be replaced again before the truck rots into the ground.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I swapped in the Peddle Bracket from the 85 PNP one to the 86. I took it apart, wire wheeled the crap off the aluminum to pretty it up. Cleaned up the 2 levers to bare steel and painted them. Ford only paints 1/2 way, only what you can see. Kind of like an old lady with knee high stockings....
Did the Heim Joint Mod and installed the new Bushings.

Actually the old Bushings really didn`t look all that bad, but don`t remember the milage the 85 had.

One of these day`s I`ll dig into the one off the 86 with 300K + miles.

I agree the new plastic Bushings will out last the life left in the majority of what`s left of the fleet of these IDI`s still running around on the roads. So don`t really need to go high tech with needle bearings etc.... only if you want to.

Goat