Thermocouple location ATS turbo

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning on installing the ATS next weekend. I just bought a new type J thermocouple for my pyrometer....should I put the pyro in the crossover pipe drilled, tapped and welded into the crossover or in the ATS stock location on the Uppipe? Thanks very much,
JD

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no thermocouple expert, but to the best of my knowledge you should be using a type K. This is what most gauges are calibrated to use. Probe info from wiki....

Type K -- Chromel (Nickel-Chromium Alloy) / Alumel (Nickel-Aluminium Alloy)
This is the most commonly used general purpose thermocouple. It is inexpensive and, owing to its popularity, available in a wide variety of probes. They are available in the −200 °C to +1200 °C range. The type K was specified at a time when metallurgy was less advanced than it is today and, consequently, characteristics vary considerably between examples. Another potential problem arises in some situations since one of the constituent metals is magnetic (Nickel). The characteristic of the thermocouple undergoes a step change when a magnetic material reaches its Curie point. This occurs for this thermocouple at 354°C. Sensitivity is approximately 41 µV/°C.

Type J -- Iron / Constantan
Limited range (−40 to +750 °C) makes type J less popular than type K. The main application is with old equipment that cannot accept modern thermocouples. J types cannot be used above 760 °C as an abrupt magnetic transformation causes permanent decalibration. The magnetic properties also prevent use in some applications. Type J's have a sensitivity of ~52 µV/°C.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should have read Type K..... for some reason I thought it was Type J. Really I'm more concerned about the location.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? That would be convenient since ATS already has a hole for it there...won't it be cooler there than in the crossover?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, one thing for sure it is a lot easier there......I don't plan to live on the ragged edge so maybe I'll just leave it there and not exceed 1050 like ATS said.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online