the zf5 swap is finally done!

zpd307

Reaction score
except for the reverse lights. the clutch still had some air in it when i first started it, but i could tell it was getting better every time i used it. after driving it around the block, i have no problems getting it into gear. if i forget to push the clutch in on time, coming to a stop, i have gotten the really loud gear rattle. if i didnt know what it was, i would have been ******** my pants. i did the lucky mod on the flywheel, i used 7/16 bolts instead of the 3/8. i figured bigger is better, and they were from fastenal. it does have a short throw shifter and pto cover coolers. the cross memember that i picked up from the junk yard, that i didnt think would fit, it fit. i still cant figure out why it is different than the other manual transmission trucks that i saw. the 3 inch flex pipe downpipe i made seemed to wake the truck up. plus a lot more whistle......;Sweet sounds and drives like a big rig now. first real shakedown run tomorrow, i ran out of time before i had to go to work tonight. on the tranny coolers, the driverside fit just fine with the front driveshaft. some had questioned whether or not they would fit. since my dp is flexpipe, i had no problems fitting the passenger side cooler in there. they hold 2 extra quarts and i was told they drop the tranny temps 60-70 degrees. dan, the guy at midwest transmissions, that makes the short throw shifter, also makes the coolers. i can get a price for any who are interested.

Last edited:

zpd307

Reaction score
from what i can see it will rub. there isnt much room for the 3 inch pipe. with the tranny out, i did some tranny tunnel massaging where the heat shield was. and icould finally get the body lip folded over tight. the factory heat wrap didnt fit so well and was bulged up all over.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Is the flexpipe a good long term solution? I would like to try it but it seems like a temporary fix? Got any pics of the flexpipe and how you secured it?

Thad

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My brothers 94 turbo truck had flex pipe on it, it wont work for long. Sorry to be the barer of bad news. It will maybe last a year, two at best. The combination of the extreme heat of the turbo and the flexing that the pipe must take from the engine torquing around will eventually break it.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I am curious as to how much the short throw shifter runs. I've sent several e-mails to midwest but never get a response.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Are we talking about the crappy flex pipes you find in parts stores? I have flex pipe on my truck going through my crossmember but its stainless steel 3.5" flex, they use flex on semis, and the stuff I have is made for a semi.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Now the Stainless commercial truck flex pipe is good stuff, but you'll bend over and take it for that stuff. But yes the flex pipe on my brothers truck was the stuff you can get at Napa.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I am curious as to how much the short throw shifter runs. I've sent several e-mails to midwest but never get a response.

About $200. This was recommended to me. They are checking with the manufacturer to see if they will fit older models, but think they will.

zpd307

Reaction score
About $200. This was recommended to me. They are checking with the manufacturer to see if they will fit older models, but think they will.

yes it will fit any zf5.. as far as the flex pipe, for what i got into it, i will replace it again when it breaks. maybe i will have the ats upgrade by then. dan does source his shifters out to others. maybe that one is his....

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
yes it will fit any zf5.. as far as the flex pipe, for what i got into it, i will replace it again when it breaks. maybe i will have the ats upgrade by then. dan does source his shifters out to others. maybe that one is his....

My thoughts as well as those of the guy there!

zpd307

Reaction score
i ad trouble getting mine, as his are flying off the shelf with all of the orders. it has been a wile since i drove a 96 ps with the zf5, but i can imagine how bad the shifts are without the short thrw shifter.....

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Also pictures of the cooler(s?) if possible? Is it just a big heat sync? I would be interested in making something like that work for my NV4500.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what's the advantage of a ZF with a short throw? I've never had a problem with mime when I needed to jam gears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin