The truck finally earning its keep

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after months of fixing things on the truck, it finally debuted as my tow and service rig for rally. The truck was beat on all weekend.

I towed 130 miles. No problem for the truck. The engine died on me twice on the highway. The first time I thought I had killed it and really broken something. The starter turned the engine over but it wouldn't restart. I sat for a minute thinking of what it could be then it started back up. Continued on. Thought about it probably being the broken engine harness connector the glow plug wires had melted together. Never had time to replace the wiring. When it died the second time, I pushed the connector together a little tighter and it started right back up. Never had that problem again.

The truck also served as my recce vehicle, which is where we get to drive the roads before the race to note any hazards. The roads in this event are notoriously rocky and rough. I was sailing that truck over that stuff at 30-40 mph. I was bouncing out of the seat. These trucks do not like to get airborne. Lots of new noises in the suspension. It was a riot, though.

The worst damage is a growling clunking sound from what seems like the front right. It kind of sounds like a failing wheel bearing but it's chunky. Like a u-joint hitting something. I can feel the grinding vibration and the thumping vibration through the floor. Gets worse when I turn right, or decelerate. Quieter if I hit a bump and the front suspension unloads.

Drove the truck around for the weekend for service and towed 130 miles back home. I'll have to treat it to some new suspension parts for a job well done.

Fetching fresh tires!
You must be registered for see images attach

Loaded up and ready to go.

The rally car did not fair quite as well.

Tim.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that a camera on top of the Subaru?
And if so, when will the video of whatever you smacked be posted?

Those rally cars have to be a lot of fun, but damage like that is inevitable and would make me sick to my stomach.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that a camera on top of the Subaru?
And if so, when will the video of whatever you smacked be posted?

Those rally cars have to be a lot of fun, but damage like that is inevitable and would make me sick to my stomach.

Yes, that video is hilarious. The camera is on a swivel with a tail fin so it points in the direction the car is traveling, which is not necessarily the direction it's facing. My co-driver has the footage so I'll post it when he gets it up somewhere.

Rally is a blast! It's unimaginable fun. I still have a car to fix, though, so ask me my opinion again in a month or two. :D

I smacked the tree here, there is better footage, but I haven't see it online yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4zHSFRQqHA

Axel shaft u-joint. Right behind the wheel? I didn't feel any rotational play in the axle, how do you check those?

Tim.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Wiggle it.
Or only lock the hub on that side and have a helper twist the front driveshaft back and forth while you watch it.

Might as well check the ball joint also.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiggle it.
Or only lock the hub on that side and have a helper twist the front driveshaft back and forth while you watch it.

Might as well check the ball joint also.

Ok, I didn't have the hub locked when I was checking. Now that I think about it, that would have made sense to do. :)

Tim.

Last edited:

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new set or rally tires Michelins 15 inch maybe you need?
You probably run 16s :-(

Javier

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15's are the standard, they don't get any bigger.

Tim.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clicking noise turned out to be wrong parts in the locking hub not allowing it to disengage all the way.

In other good news, I didn't wreck the suspension. The bad news, though, I collapsed the body mounts under the cab so the rattling noises are the exhaust hitting the body.

How hard is it to lift the cab enough to patch the rust around the body mounts?

Tim.