The New NMB2 build is alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Absolutely you can adjust them more. Even with the timing marks being for the original IP, it should have at least been closer into the ballpark. There could be other factors too though, perhaps something internally on the IP.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. I'm sure he'll get it pretty close soon. Just need to use the timing light like he said in his thread.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's got video for sure. And it does seem to run really well. What kills me is that there aren't any gauges installed yet. I watched the videos, and he didn't run it hard enough to be in any danger, I realize, but when he's posting videos as a means of defending all his hard work, wouldn't you think he'd want to validate the video with shots of gauges reading actual manifold pressure and EGT? I know he said in the video that they're coming this week, and I'm excited to see the actual boost pressures and EGTs.

After all the drama surrounding this truck and the trouble I had with DPS parts, Im glad to see its up and running so well.

Ryan

wmoguy

Reaction score
No doubt, she runs damn good on the youboob video. No doubt the dude can build a mean idi. Funny he almost didn't come off as a total arrogant ***** on video. I keep forgetting how young these cats are, that 91dirtdiesel guy looks maybe 20 in the video. Damn I feel old now....lol
Anyway, don't wanna *** on the campfire. The truck runs, and certainly will be a spectacle on the dyno.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on that it will be cool to see more data from the gauges to go with the KILLER SOUND of that beast. He said it should be all done with gauges and other things like that by the week end then some daily driving to brake it in some more then its off to the rollers

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great video sounds like a good motor appreciate the upload of the new video can't wait to see more after the gauges and water/**** injection.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Looks good but running a fresh engine with no TEMP gauge?cookoo
ohh jesus brad..... now he's gonna have to make another video to prove to "those oilburners people" that he has a coolant gauge.
I've never seen such a sensitive dude.... 500 praises and 5 comments of "wow the video is dark" and all the fella hears is that no one believes him.

Get over it, it's a truck, and this is the internet.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ohhh crap, I just watched another 5 minutes of that video before I shut it down... classic.
two thoughts:

1. Honey badger? (cuz he don't give a f***). Of course he made this video because there are still five NON BELIEVERS!!!!
2. That minivan REALLY wanted to race dude.... Its on!!! you coulda taken him.

well, I better knock it off, the next video will be about me instead of Gary.

wmoguy

Reaction score
ohh jesus brad..... now he's gonna have to make another video to prove to "those oilburners people" that he has a coolant gauge.
I've never seen such a sensitive dude.... 500 praises and 5 comments of "wow the video is dark" and all the fella hears is that no one believes him.

Get over it, it's a truck, and this is the internet.

I'm not tryin to **** on the guys wheaties nor is this a bash. I'll preface this by saying I'm just stating a factual observation: Peeps that are insecure and need others approvals act just like this all the time, its who they are bent.

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aside from the "super special" caterpillar BW turbo, I honestly don't know what the big deal is. I've read through pretty much all of his thread over on that forum and honestly there's really nothing there that no one hasn't tried before. Like everyone else I'm all for someone breaking new ground and giving them props when its due. Honestly I don't see whats so special. His attitude is well known among the respected members here, so there's no reason to go into that.

If you guys think his engine build is interesting enough to give kudos to then you'd fall out of your chair to see and read about a local farmers IDI build, and he did his almost 10 years ago. I've tried several times to get him on the forums to write about his build and share his technical knowledge but he's an older gentleman that really has no desire to use a computer. So all I can really say is its pretty bad @$$. He mounted a GT40R series garrett dual ball bearing turbo onto hand made manifolds. The engine ran on a considerable amount of propane, it spools up by 1800rpm and the heads don't lift off even at 32psi boost. The truck is a beast and when I asked him why he built it, he told me honestly he wanted a truck that could pull anything he needed it to and still be serviced without taking it to a mechanic.
Its guys like this old farmer that I respect, and appreciate their knowledge, especially when they are more than willing to help others out with ideas and tell them what has worked and what hasn't.
Honestly there's allot more thats been done to these IDI's than most of us will ever know simply because MANY of the great mechanical minds out there have no desire to use a computer or get on the internet.

i understand where you are coming from. theres several builders/vehicles that i try to lure to the boards on the internet to no avail.

the turbo is nothing special at all from what i got out of this, just cost effective for intended goals. the pump mods and cam combination etc put this past the norm in my eyes. i run a 6.5 in my ranger and fully intend to incorporate the things done in that area to my situation and am quite pleased with what i hear on those videos....sure as hell dont sound common for an idi to me.

If he will share the details with you why not write it down and post it here?
With his permission of course.
If he will allow pics that would be even better.

You should really take a pen and paper over there and ask the guy what he has done! That would be way cool. He might tell you and he might not but its still worth a try. And I am sure everyone would love to hear his story, even if it is told second hand.

Something wrong here... I still can't see anything. Most of the viedo is black. This may be a great build but... Not actually seeing something is not proving to me this is a working engine. It does sound great and I really want to actually see something. I'm not posting any longer on this topic...

We can send men to the moon! Heck, we might even be able to build an engine like NMB2 can, but one things for sure... We sure as heck can't ever get a clean, well shot NMB2 video! LOL

i dont need video proof...if i was building this truck i would not post **** in the form of pictures most would want.... and no video...i dont have time for that ****. this guy dont have 5 kids or he wouldnt either LOL he would have to be young to care;Really

i had guys call ******** on my rig etc....all i got for those guys was rack off if you dont believe it:dunno

to ***** about the video quality is crazy.

simply posting up the remembered formula to the ol boys build from 10 years ago is plenty for me....the specs on the pump in particular, or was the propane a cheap way of getting around pump technology? just post the notes on the subject...all i need to work with.:thumbsup:

who waits till they are broke in?

depends on enviroment where its to live....for the most part they get broke like they are to be run...;Sweet

Regardless of what happened before or the darkness of the video, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt here, especially with Typ4's testimony about what's going on up there. I'm excited to hear more about it.

some sanity on the video thing

Oh yah , put this on me!!!
Actually I just spoke with him and they are going for another test run, Ken suggested to run it at low boost for a while to not over pressure the rings, as did HAstings. I can agree with that from using rings way over their design parameter.
I told him to watch the temps carefully , that is the most important in my book, and oil pressure obviously.

When I was working in Anchorage the diesel shop dyno operator ran any engine for 1 hour no or light load, when up to temp, 2 hours of low to full loads and everything in between, then 1/2 hr at full load. So that is kinda what I go by also.

i can understand this to a point.

but i would have temp and oil gauges present and bust this fawker hard since its not an extreme weather rig....it would be the fastest that b2 ever went down the freeway in its life if this thing is anything like it sounds...hell get a trailer that holds two b2's to really seat them rings..LOL

one thing though....i would be saving for a richmond six speed....he is gonna destroy that zf if the numbers approach the goals.

mostly due to not having the mind of one supporting 5 piglets...it will be hard not to push the tires loose in 3 rd gear.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Aside from the "super special" caterpillar BW turbo, I honestly don't know what the big deal is. I've read through pretty much all of his thread over on that forum and honestly there's really nothing there that no one hasn't tried before. Like everyone else I'm all for someone breaking new ground and giving them props when its due. Honestly I don't see whats so special. His attitude is well known among the respected members here, so there's no reason to go into that.

If you guys think his engine build is interesting enough to give kudos to then you'd fall out of your chair to see and read about a local farmers IDI build, and he did his almost 10 years ago. I've tried several times to get him on the forums to write about his build and share his technical knowledge but he's an older gentleman that really has no desire to use a computer. So all I can really say is its pretty bad @$$. He mounted a GT40R series garrett dual ball bearing turbo onto hand made manifolds. The engine ran on a considerable amount of propane, it spools up by 1800rpm and the heads don't lift off even at 32psi boost. The truck is a beast and when I asked him why he built it, he told me honestly he wanted a truck that could pull anything he needed it to and still be serviced without taking it to a mechanic.
Its guys like this old farmer that I respect, and appreciate their knowledge, especially when they are more than willing to help others out with ideas and tell them what has worked and what hasn't.
Honestly there's allot more thats been done to these IDI's than most of us will ever know simply because MANY of the great mechanical minds out there have no desire to use a computer or get on the internet.

well, i havent read on here of anyone else using a db2/db4 hybrid pump. or a cam that actually provides more lift and doesnt just have an aggressive cut. how "special" does it have to be before it's a big deal?

he made his manifolds, up-pipes, everything. he definitely has a more unique idi than anyone elses that i've seen. why not give him kudos for the work hes done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online