The e pump thread, aka what electric fuel pump, facett.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
what im trying to say is we should try to figure out what the best long term e pump is, that will also supply enough fuel for large IPs if needed.

I vote Holley Red/Blue/Black, because they sell cheap repair kits. They sell Red (typically no regulated needed on IDIs, but I found that my RV needed one to drop the pressure down a bit due to timing issues), Blue which delivers more GPH than red but comes with a regulator, or black which is higher GPH than blue and needs a regulator but doesn't come with one.

Holley appears to make or be associated with the very similar Mr Gasket pumps. I don't know if Holley repair kits will work in them, but they might? They have slightly lower GPH vs their Holley equivalents though so that can be a factor.

Red quiv: https://www.holley.com/products/fue...umps/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/95P

Blue equiv: https://www.holley.com/products/fue...mps/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/105P

Black equiv:
https://www.holley.com/products/fue...mps/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/130P

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stuck this on the other day as I thought my mechanical fuel pump was going south. Deleted the back tank now just use the front. Put a new shower head on pick up tube and ratted out an old sending unit ceramic resitor and replaced the existing one in the tank.
Also had to solder a leak in the sending unit's brass float. Now my gauge works great.
Don't comment on the wire nut for the sending unit wire as I was in a hurry.

You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much gph, and filtration is req. For a 2 stage setup?
Ok h2o and fuel I get.
How much trash do you guys see?
The big boys and off highway stuff would be a good start to find overkill gear (paging @IdIot)
The stock setup works once the known issues are addressed.
My 93 only has sub 60k on it "stock"..

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Clb is it possible to take a holley pump, a WS and a fuel filter, bolt them together plumb in the fuel hose and have a reliable e pump with good filtration that will supply a good psi to a big IP and preferably under the price of justins setup

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ya look at holleys statts on the site I think yes.
big ip will want a return regulator, and a black or blue (off the top of my head) the red will probably be short of flow it seems.
last cruize thru justins site was a year + ago.

most of the guys sellin duals use a red as a base, yes it is not diesel rated...

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much gph, and filtration is req. For a 2 stage setup?
Ok h2o and fuel I get.
How much trash do you guys see?
The big boys and off highway stuff would be a good start to find overkill gear (paging @IdIot)
The stock setup works once the known issues are addressed.
My 93 only has sub 60k on it "stock"..
My go to water separator is a Donaldson P558010. https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-us/product/P558010/20983It’s for a Detroit 6-71 two stroke. I add them to my diesel generators and other equipment at work. Water always seems to find its way into their tanks. I usually see some nasty water in the separator, but I never see any make it to the primary filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone made a homemade double filter electric pump setup
pretty much anyone can go to napa get some filters, bolt the filter heads together slap on an e pump and put it on there truck and say its good.

Filter heads dont just bolt together without creative ingenuity and guess you could call this homemade. This is 2 6.9 filter heads and a e8153 pump like what is used on a 6.2/6.5, yes this is not a trustworthy brand pump tho.

With the setup I have, there is not much choice in 7/8in thread filters except those that are long like 33377 and 33337. Another issue I see with using factory head is the npt where can leak if not tapped, teflon compound works some but dose not like fuel too much. In a search did find someone that dose sell filter heads that use orb fittings that are 1in thread, there are more choices of filters here like the ones for the 7.3 head.

http://westerndieselaz.com/universal-filter-head-1-14/

we learn things by doing it and we learn thru trial and error

Yes trial and error dose go a long way and I found a pump like using my pc as a test bed, I have a custom water cooling of the cpu with a d5 pump. This pc has been on for the most part of 2 years with this pump, rarely shut down and never for long. What I like about this pump is it is brushless with no moving parts except the half sphere that floats on fluid and pumps the fluid.

Doing some work on D-max trucks, ran across a interesting means to use this pump. This can be ran single for 4psi or series for 7psi, flow seems to be good for a mild d-max. Yes you can get a brass laing top with but would be a bit more and are getting scarce.

https://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryresults3.cfm?Category=3&SubCategory=157&SubCategory2=126

The d5 is a centrifugal pump that is free flowing as opposed to a vane pump that is not, so a primer is needed to get fuel up from the tank. This is a example of hand primer pump I found with a quick search of ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Add-on-Han...852568?hash=item2855017c58:g:hasAAOxyONBSYEcM

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i would put together a setup, i would try to find filter heads that use a readily available filter so you can stop at any truck shop and they most likely have one in stock. me personally i hate the IDI filter head because the design changed and there are a couple different filters it is sometimes a gamble if you get the correct one. i also think longer filters might be a better idea cause there is more filter media area inside so they are less likely to plug up quickly.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yup finding a good filter head is a little harder then one would think.

I run a Racor 230 series filter/water separator and have for years and I run a Baldwin 1204 spin on, one piece filter on it.

A Baldwin FB1311 is another filter head that will fit a Baldwin 1212 filter separator. That filter head however needs some pretty serious reducing on the fitting size to mate with a 5/16 or 3/8 fuel line. Not really a big deal but some parts jobbers can't handle putting together those fittings

Last edited:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Baldwin FB1311 is another filter head

I like that that filter head you found better than the one I found do to cost. It uses unf fittings have o-rings like orb and will not give a point of easy leaks as well.

i also think longer filters might be a better idea cause there is more filter media area inside so they are less likely to plug up quickly.

Yes longer would be better but to long it could become a target of something hitting it. For the 7/8in was finding a water separator 33337 at 9.4in and 1in finding 33378 at 6.5in, the 1in dose have ones allot longer and shorter that are all in one as well. The 1in gives a more reasonable choice for the location I chose but yes could find somewhere else to fit longer filter better. In the 1in there is a 33109 filter at 5.2in that looks to be a good match up to the 33378 water separator.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yes that is a nice unit. However, I have had some instances of those primer bulbs sucking air when the unit is getting long in the tooth, and is placed on the suction side of the pump. and if one is running an e pump, there is no need for a primer bulb. So might be best to avoid the filter head with a primer in our circumstances.

However with no e fuel pump, those primers are very nice to have