How it Works - Fuel Selector Valve (FSV) and IDI Fuel Math AKA "What fuel pump should I run?"

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's how I did the return system.
You can see what I mounted on the IP which I haven't seen before.
The open port is for the regulator return once I make the mount for it.
Personally I wouldn't suggest any return lines going across the back near an after market turbos hot side.
This runs across the front to tie the banks together similar to what Mel does.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This how I did my return, my pump and filter is down on the the frame. I have a cross tied to the intake where it wouldn't vibrate around.

Last edited:

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's how I did the return system.
You can see what I mounted on the IP which I haven't seen before.
The open port is for the regulator return once I make the mount for it.
Personally I wouldn't suggest any return lines going across the back near an after market turbos hot side.
This runs across the front to tie the banks together similar to what Mel does.

I see issues there myself I like to have a 1 way check valve between the injection pump return and the return line injector caps then another after they merge this eliminates issues with air bleed back ( often a issue when re priming the system or after setting for a long period ) I also like to connect both the front and rear return caps from driver to passenger side as you did the front and tee them both and merge them back together and a one way check valve to return to tank you want to keep back pressure at a minimum on these return caps with 2 return connections aka both ends tied together and tee'd then merged together and then dumping to the tank you eleviate the pressure / pulsing the way you have it 4 injectors are only having 1 direction to flow on each side then fighting for a exit against each other taking on a back pulse which will make the seals move and cause leaks by having a exit on both ends on both sides I find you reduce how often the return caps start leaking and less complicated bleeding of the fuel system.

I want to also point out our return fuel system has another use it is the coolant for our injectors so having multiple exits to return to tank vs going thru all 8 before returning to tank aka 1 injectors is getting cooled and that fuel is heated and used to cool next injector by time you hit last injector in your setup there could he a massive temperature difference from 1st injector vs last injector in loop. This can cause caps to leak also and can cause the injectors to age differently making them wear differently because theyre operating at different temperatures our injectors get hot trust me imagine the pressure theyre under inside the cylinder under cumbustion that injector nozzles excess fuel is what your returning to the tank think about it thats a ton of heat your amplifying thru the return system. that last injectors return fuel is likely near if not at boiling point and this again can cause a form of air intrusion causing all kinds of nightmares our injectors do not like air on the return side they want fuel there to lubricate them not boiled diesel vapor.

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This how I did my return, my pump and filter is down on the the frame. I have a cross tied to the intake where it would vibrate around.

What's this look like from the back with the supply line coming up that way with soft line where the cross over pipe is/exhaust?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What's this look like from the back with the supply line coming up that way with soft line where the cross over pipe is/exhaust?
Judging from the picture, it probably runs about the same as the engine return line so it would be well away from the exhaust.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Something like this, will get a better pick tomorrow in the light.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My junk sits for months on end...
It now gets a battery tender tied to the honda eu3k genset in the bed for the 5er.
My question is how often do you guys kill filters,ip's, injectors,fuel feed, that losing prime is an issue?
+20k I've not had 1 issue (shy of the Fawcett!).
Biggest issue was a 30 min. Fuel stop today (tank uphill from pump....)

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It now gets a battery tender tied to the honda eu3k genset in the bed for the 5er.
My question is how often do you guys kill filters,ip's, injectors,fuel feed, that losing prime is an issue?

A cheap 30w solar panel and small 10amp MPPT solar charge controller will be a better option to keep your batteries topped off I have a 50w flexible mounted ontop of my trucks roof and 10a mppt renogy charge controller behind the seat.

about every 60k miles I pull my injectors and clean and reset my pop pressure as for injection pumps I get 100k or more out of them ( I run alot of waste motor oil and used veggie oil and such ) I run dual electric fuel pumps side by side with a Y before and after with 1/2 inch main fuel line from my 80 gallon in bed tank then Y's ( 2x 3/8 and 1x 1/2 inch ) to 3/8 to the pumps then out of pumps as 3/8 to a Y ( 2x 3/8 to 1x 1/2 ) and 1/2 inch to the big baldwin BF7587 fuel filter then 1/2 inch all the way to injection pump then returns to just before my electric fuel pumps thru a 2x 1/2 by 1x 3/8 barbed T I run 8.5 psi idle and 100% load 5psi minimum at the injection pump I am running 2x 30GPH pumps not just for the flow but redundancy I also keep 2 new fuel pumps in the tool box just in case.

a few images of my old farm truck and tow pig I am rebuilding I built that flat bed out of scrap I had LOL and the 5th wheel hitch I salvaged off a military vehicle 38klb to be exact.

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I took the truck apart no issues. This routing is because I don't want to push the regulator bypass and ip return through the caps. No coincidence that the late model caps moved to 1/4" when the IP routes to it instead of direct.

Second, no amount of heat wrap or shield would convince me to run a return line under the turbo across the rear. That's why they also changed the return cross over for turbo motors to be in front of it.

I ran all aluminum hard line to the engine bay for fuel and mouse got me thinking if when I hand off to soft AN whether I should come up the back of the engine or front now.
I could go up the back and regulator on the firewall but if that reg pops a mist or leak it's going to go right on the turbo hot side. If I got to what I was planning in the front might give it a chance.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could go up the back and regulator on the firewall but if that reg pops a mist or leak it's going to go right on the turbo hot side.

Where I put the cross is 2 bolt holes where a regulator could be mounted.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the towpig cbrf3!
Mine hides inna barn way to much, (it only got 57k on the clock) I may swipe the details on the solar for my ferd 1200 tho...

Hacked
I'm thinkin on your input for if I do a bypass regulator on the holley (I kinda feel the extra psi is altering the ip timing curve).

I'm spoiled my junk is so close to factory issue it acts like a new rig...

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@hacked89 with this change to the fuel system you can only run one tank correct ? Are you running a transfer pump to utilize both tank or just one large tank?
Thought about going this route if I go Electric fuel pump/intercooler/ head studs

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is more from the under side.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@hacked89 with this change to the fuel system you can only run one tank correct ? Are you running a transfer pump to utilize both tank or just one large tank?
Thought about going this route if I go Electric fuel pump/intercooler/ head studs
Single tank for me, there are a couple others that have discussed using a transfer pump. I believe @IDIBRONCO I may have heard or read his thoughts on a design.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88