The diary of my journey to the darkside.........

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ground Hawg.

4" front, shackle flip rear, and now I need different u bolts to drop the rear, too much lift.

Looks goofy, 4" rake?

So here is my confusion.

Fire it up, go to exhaust shop, runs fine the 20 mins (longest it has run to date) I run it out there, I let it sit for minute, 45 actually, I fire it up to move it into the bay, It fires, runs 50' and dies, like i hit the key...

***?

SO I hit it with ether, nothing, batteries re hovering around 10-11 volts, so not the most invigorating cranking, either.

We push it... let it sit on the charger, only after like 5 attempts of not firing.

Weld the exhaust, it sits for an hour or so... fires right over. Idles a bit, kill it. Again fires, brand new truck.. literally, 2-3 revs, and it fires.

Drive home, again 20 minutes or so, kill it, run inside for 20 minutes, late for an interview.. fire it, again, just far enough it is stuck in traffic. Moderately heavy traffic.

Key it in reverse off the road, two guys come to push, ennh Hah Hah! 4 guys come to push.. all they succeed in doing is holding it while I get out and help... heh heh heh...

I live on an incline to the road, and there is a curb we had to hop.

**** with this and that around the house, let it sit... batteries about dead, and I had to hit it with ether, but she fires.

Guy here that rebuilds pumps told me to pull the return coupling off the pump and see if it was plugged, he said there is this plastic dealy whooper that shreds as a pump dies. He said Ferd/IH did away with the plastic after the first 4-5 years of pumps, and if I had a low mile early 6.9 ( I do) there is a good chance it hs never been gone through, and plastic dealy whopper pieces plugging up the return line.

Clear as day, the little check valve even works.

Why does this thing work like a Union employee? I live in Idaho, we have none, we are right to work state, I need a truck that will outwork two illegals. Not take a 45 min cofffee break every 20 mins.

Help?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old is the injector pump?

Mel explained a failure mode that resembles this a while back. Basically as the internal parts wear out, the internal clearances increase - this DEcreasing your fuel pressure.

When you start it cold, the fuel is also cooler and therefore more viscous so it can still build enough pressure to operate properly. When its running everything warms up evenly and its still more or less ok. Remember cranking speed is never as high as idle speed and the slower the RPM, the harder it is to build enough fuel pressure.

When you shut it off, the steel internals and aluminum external case of the injector pump cool and shrink at different rates producing a "no go" window withing the cool down period after shutting the engine off. Once it cools down enough for the clearances to stabilize again, it will usually restart, but you are well within borrowed time but now. If this was a simple case of air intrusion, the problem would NOT go away by letting it sit for longer.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Sounds like the IP to me...Did you have return fuel when you pulled the line? I would check it and see.

SWS

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sealed injectors, and it runs like a new truck?

THat is all I have to say about that.

Some of us have seen these, but not everyone is on FullSizeBronco.. ( always think the Centurion site should have been called OversizeBronco, or Full FullSizeBronco... etc :D)

But here is my moment of Glory, yesterday.

I started this swap, 5/24.

Clyde lost the 460, 7/1.

It wasn't until today, that I could call him daily driver material.

And barely, Dire need of an oil change, I have no H20 or Oil psi gauges (bought, not installed) Unsure if the PS pump is happy...

But by Golly, it starts everytime, has brakes, exhaust (those are all just as of yesterday evening) and I can count on it.

Gauges and new blood come tomorrow. They are sitting on dining room table, have NAPA gold filter ready, gonna run Mystik oil with a motor treatment for now, and then Delo 400 in a week.

Today was Clydes first day out.

Daughter is in Color Guard at Nampa high, and I got an email a week and a half ago saying they needed trailers toted... Allright... we have two SUV's, a one ton diesel, and a half ton triton.

Here is Clyde's first day out as a truck since July.

You must be registered for see images attach

( ^ I dig that tree)

( I had an 8" drop reciever, guess I need 12")

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
What do you mean "sealed the injectors"? Were the tips not tight? Hw did you figure out that was the problem?

SWS

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u scared me i saw the bumper and i thought this was some chevy thing you may have picked up on where you bolt a drop hitch to the bumper

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheeled it... :D

I am standing between truck and trailer here, I am 6'

You must be registered for see images

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow amaszing that ball mount flexes so well i got a pintel on my m101 a1 for that and ive had that thing almost vertical down a hill and no binding

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SAAAWWWEEEEETTTT!!!! gotta like those Centurions. I know I do. The idea of a bigger Bronco is appealing...but oh the loss of turning circle....aye yi yi...not good. Maybe a supercab conversion instead of a crew cab ...hmmm.....

Maybe some how get a suicide rear door rigged up in a supercab converted Bronco....

naw...build bigger taller mo powerful Bronco...

Oh ya now I gotta find me a Ford 401....grrrr....