The diary of my journey to the darkside.........

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SAAAWWWEEEEETTTT!!!! gotta like those Centurions. I know I do. The idea of a bigger Bronco is appealing...but oh the loss of turning circle....aye yi yi...not good. Maybe a supercab conversion instead of a crew cab ...hmmm.....

Maybe some how get a suicide rear door rigged up in a supercab converted Bronco....

naw...build bigger taller mo powerful Bronco...

Oh ya now I gotta find me a Ford 401....grrrr....

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took some of the "Big Dumb Mud Truck" look out of it, and unsure how I feel about the Nitto's, but I have a tire wheel combo my NA IDI likes a whooooooooole lot better, and! I am not locking the tires into the springs at this point.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

No, thats not a tail, ya could call it a "lead rope" if'n ya want...

Front ones are what I will have all four corners tomorrow maybe, waiting on my adapters to show.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I ran flat interstate with the Napa High trailer on the **** the other day, 65-70 was comfort top end, 202 205 degrees...

When I am in this engine, with a load on, it gets quiet. All the rattle goes away, I mean you can tell its running, but it is actually quieter than my 460 was.

Kinda weird..

I have to tow the trailer to Everett WA this weekend, I am going to drop to stock height tires, to let my 3.73's shine, and.. I want to bump the timing a touch, and maybe one flat or two of the fuel screw.

I DO NOT have my Pyro installed yet, and it won't happen before the WA trip.

Will one flat do anything for me hp/tq wise?

will two cause me "tightened sphinctre syndrome" all the way to WA and back? I don't want a melted motor, but I want to effortlessly cruise 70.

If I leave the back (firewall side) terminal of the IP hooked up 24/7 (the cold idle deal), the truck makes a very metallic sound, is that just a timing advance?

(sometimes I forget to unplug it)

When I do loosent he bolts, to advance the pump, standing at the front bumper facing the firewall, do I turn the pump towards the driver side fender or the pass side fender?.

Just when I think that I have that fiugred out, I overthinkit, and end up unsure of myself.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iirc mel had me pull towards pass side
but he had a special wrench for it so idk for sure
but i wouldnt adjust timing yer get a pyro
2 flats on the fuel screw should be fine with no issues
just gont get on her gradual pedal and it will keep egt down
also one or the other dont do much but both is a lot so keep that in mind
when i turned my pump up two flats i noticed it but didnt shart my self

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iirc mel had me pull towards pass side
but he had a special wrench for it so idk for sure
but i wouldnt adjust timing yer get a pyro
2 flats on the fuel screw should be fine with no issues
just gont get on her gradual pedal and it will keep egt down
also one or the other dont do much but both is a lot so keep that in mind
when i turned my pump up two flats i noticed it but didnt shart my self

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I would not do the flats and timing prior to the pyro. Is it really worth a few more MPGs and $70 for a new engine?

So, what kind of milage are you getting now?

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Oh, and what firewall plug are you talking about? I have three plugs on the FRONT of my engine. The one that was on the rear was the glow plug relay.

I forget what the plug with the two terminals is. It is the one between the IP and the pass side head. Then, there is the timing advance one which is a single terminal that is screwed into the block at the front of the driver's side head. The one in the head on the driver's side head is for the gauge. Someone correct me if I am wrong, and also if you have the P/Ns, I want them so I can put new ones on mine.

SWS

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Facing the engine to advance the pump you turn the top of the pump towards the passenger side fender but... Before you do this make a center punch mark in the joint where the injection pump meets the gear cover. Then move the pump. That way you can easily return the pump to where you had it if you don't like the sound or mileage. Just easy to match up the two half circles to one full circle. And I agree... A pyro is way cheaper than a burned up motor.... Banks turns up the pumps 2 flats when they install a turbo... Hope you understand whats happening when you turn up the fuel and advance the timing without any temps before hand..

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1: we are taking the Expedition
2: I don't trust it yet.. that little rattle it made ****** voyage has me scared like a schoolboy in a monastery
3: I was hoping say 5-6 degrees and one flat was in a safe zone
4: its $60 for my probe.. Its next on the list
5: I have put 150 miles on it since the swap, and I don't trust the fuel gauge, it went from perfect readings as a gas sending unit to slightly goofy now that I have stripped it of its high psi pump, I probably fecked something up on the sending unit, having said that, it feels more thifty than the 460 it replaced.
6: I have no odo, other than my i phone, which is great, til it resets, or I forget to turn on the speedo for this drive or that drive.
7: plenty quick enough for me in town sans trailer, (not the powerhouse it was with the 460 for sure, but I knew that going in) and I am trying to get he FE powered 73 together for pulling, I like a 390, and its a beater. Want this for a drive around truck play toy, my biggest ******* will be when i drop the reciever hitch off the back into the recycle bin.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock pumps hauling a load will hit 1200...........

And not much of a load at that. I found that I could easily peg the pyro in the N/A (not for long though) crew cab with the DT466 in the bed (1500lbs.) But with the turbo, that will be a thing of the past. Just gotta get time to install it and get the sucker on the road again.

Heath

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it sits today...

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And prtetty much done, lowering the back 2", putting 12.5R20's on it... and the next steps are Pyro, tach, and odo.. then the rest is cosmetic til I get a line on a 12valve, or build my 401.

"quick" just isn't doing it... :) Needs to feel like a 6.0 when ya crack the throttle.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I figured you would sell it as it sits and get something that would be different.

SWS