The diary of my journey to the darkside.........

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My favorite part, second set of holes lines up with my NP435... Hubba Hubba!

Notice bell housing length is same as a normal Bell? the 40.2" measurement stops at the 6" mark in this pic.

Sixstates (google) sells an IH disc, 13" 10 spline 1.125 shaft diam for $68... making my NP435 work yet again.

Bosch.... MW, but tunable...

Guy wants $400, gonna try to strong arm that smaller, sold the 6.9 tonight for $600, paid $300 minus crusher fess from chassis it came from for $120.. so.. my $200 motor netted me $400 profit, bearing in mind, I sold the 460 it replaced for $500... so, I did okay.:thumbsup:
Gotta find me one of these....just gotta...looks so nice...more room around the engine bay....hell ya!

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
You already sold the 6.9? I figured you would at LEAST drive it a year before getting tired of it.

I have seen those ford diesels before but don't know what they are. What do they fit/come in?

SWS

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You already sold the 6.9? I figured you would at LEAST drive it a year before getting tired of it.

I have seen those ford diesels before but don't know what they are. What do they fit/come in?

SWS

New Holland tractors, and F700's.. and the weird "NPR" style Ford COE's (they look very European/thirdworld)

Almost stopped the IDI swap in the middle and went here, read back a few pages, but.... Wanted the truck back. Clyde is kinda a POS, 4x4 is out (t-case lever, u-joint) Heater is defunct (switch in dash needs replced) all doors rattle (tightened and bushings) Brakes are flintstone at best (RABS valve and air in system)

Gonna stop while it is still turn key reliable, and address some things, namely, a little more hp (shooting for healthy IDI numbers, [325/850]maybe a fuzz more, but at the cost of building an IDI, ennn NO!) (Moose $1000, ATS 093, basically 1000 for fresh, IC, $200 set up, torque cam 200.... studs, what 2-300? $3k for an IDI? No man. Can't do it)

Are you anticipating any firewall mods to make that fit??

I don't think. watch and see. think I have (swear to god its 8" longer) 5" I can gain in back, and if I stand radiator at a perfect 90, instead of the factory 75 degree angle, I should be able to gain the three I need in the front. IC will then become a challenge, if I have to go pusher fan, though.

With the 3.73's and te 43" military tires I am looking at, and my NP435 (or any other direct drive trans, I am 2200 basically at 78 mph... I have to drive 25 miles east or west or hundreds north or south to see a speed limit past 65, so.. gearing should be perfect.

Want a motor with enough torque to "throw away" so when cruising I am at rest more so than working it.

Theory is, with the long legs, and the direct drive, and a torque heavy motor, I have my tall 4x4 Expedition vehicle, and high teens, possibly low 20's on the highway.

Talked to a bloke who drove back an F700 from CA, with a beet bed, or dump bed on it, and he pulled 14 at 65 mph, and his was a 7.8.... If an empty F7 can do 14, I with less weight, less wind resistance, and a smaller foot print, with a healthier smaller displacement motor should do equally as well, or better.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting project! The weight seems to be close to the IDI, so if you can shoe horn it in there, it could be a great setup.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well in about 3 hours I have the IDI ready to pull today.. Gonna sell and then go directly buy the 6.6 so that the money doesnt get f#$%ed off on other things. Gonna half ass set the 6.6 in the hole, and do the headgasket where it sits.... Hopefully will have pics of it sitting in the bay by Firday/Saturday.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
The 6.6 has a nasty rep for cracking internally. i would get in writing that you can get money back

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Well in about 3 hours I have the IDI ready to pull today.. Gonna sell and then go directly buy the 6.6 so that the money doesnt get f#$%ed off on other things. Gonna half ass set the 6.6 in the hole, and do the headgasket where it sits.... Hopefully will have pics of it sitting in the bay by Firday/Saturday.
....with the new firewall & floorboard?

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Havent heard that before. Only problems I hear of: headgaskets, and lack of power.

Fit ala carte? lol...you're gonna be surprised at the length. It's possible, but I'm just a little doubtful.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taken measurements... we will see.

IDI is out.. 4 hours from start to finish, parked as a driver to trans laying t- case aying and IDI laying on ground.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Camera f$%#ed up the other day, iPhone has been on the verge of dead every time I have started.. and... would have to had to stop wrenching to take pics.

Will take pics tomorrow AM, or Sat when i fire up the pressure washer to sanitize everything.