Tapped hole in ATS collector

Steven Sochalski

Reaction score
I purchased a NA motor with an ATS 093 turbo kit. The motor had blown head gaskets from too much boost. I'm assembling all the extra stuff to install on my 90 NA.

The collector was tapped for a pyro. It is 1/8 npt, except it was tapped all the way through, with no taper. I want to plug it and tap the driver's manifold across from cylinder 8 port.

I have a plug, and a stick welder with some cast rods. Would this turn out bad to hit one edge of the plug with a quick spot weld to lock it? I'll heat the manifold with propane to get it hot to avoid cracks.

I can always use some really high temp epoxy if the risk of cracking it too much.
You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually that would be a lot easier I would think, no need to worry about cracking.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've repaired several cast iron butchering kettles that some knucklehead previously used as a flower pot and drilled holes in the bottom. Heated with torch and stick weld with stainless rods. They don't leak enough soup to put the fire out. Git'r good and hot before you weld.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup just pre heat it. I welded my entire up pipe like that and it’s been great for about a year. No leaks.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hot did you get it?

I want to say I kept it a little over 350 degrees with a small torch. Afterwards I wrapped it in a bunch of thick blankets and towels to let it cool slowly.

Edit: because you’re using cast rods it honestly will probably end up better than mine since I used mig.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I want to say I kept it a little over 350 degrees with a small torch. Afterwards I wrapped it in a bunch of thick blankets and towels to let it cool slowly.

Edit: because you’re using cast rods it honestly will probably end up better than mine since I used mig.
I have no idea about the temperature, but the slow cooling sounds right. The slower it cools, the less chance it has of recracking.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea about the temperature, but the slow cooling sounds right. The slower it cools, the less chance it has of recracking.
Yes I was worried about it cracking once I started driving it and actually getting everything all hot. So far so good. I got the idea from Wes.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most if not all the suggestions are good, I would screw the plug in and braze it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am going to call straight BS on too much boost from a 093
i have been cramming 25 psi to a head bolted engine for years.

what i would do with this is take a stainless steel 1/8" pipe plug.
put it in.
preheat it to 400*
TIG weld with 309L
either post cool, or stick in the sand blasting cabinet

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am going to call straight BS on too much boost from a 093
i have been cramming 25 psi to a head bolted engine for years.

what i would do with this is take a stainless steel 1/8" pipe plug.
put it in.
preheat it to 400*
TIG weld with 309L
either post cool, or stick in the sand blasting cabinet

Concur. Buy a nice 400F heat crayon if you're unsure. And if using a torch to post cool, grab some beer, run the torch over for maybe 10 seconds, then off for a few sips, repeat increasing the amount of sips each time. If it feels like it's taking too long, good.

Fat people always break nice park benches or lean on tables. Lots of repairs over the years.