Tap size for glow plug hole

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a 10 x 1.0mm tap. NOT the 10 x .125mm.

Last edited:

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be a m10x1.0 tap not the m10x1.25 tap.

Sorry had to correct that

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
ADV is correct, it is a metric tap. 10 mm diameter, 1mm thread pitch. Take a glow plug with you if in doubt.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
*** What did I say? So the .01 got the 0 in the wrong place.

What you wrote was not something that a hardware counterman would understand (at least not right away). Tap sizes are like bolt and nut sizes, the diameter first, then the threads per inch or by pitch (whichever is appropriate), separated by an "x" as short for "by" in the vernacular. So our GP threads are 10 millimeter diameter by 1 millimeter pitch. A period, dot or decimal point are not part of the callout except as included in a pitch specification. You were right about it being metric, but the way you wrote it was simply incorrect. A common mistake for those not dealing with that terminology all day long (for 38 years) as determined by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).

Go ahead and call me the tech **** if you want. I get the itch to correct grammar and spelling too, but they are not so important to these forums as correct bolt sizes and part numbers.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and call me the tech **** if you want. I get the itch to correct grammar and spelling too, but they are not so important to these forums as correct bolt sizes and part numbers.

Well, if you have the itch to correct grammar and spelling, you've got a lot of itchy work ahead of you on these forums.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
When half or more of the posters are accessing the forums from their phones, I can understand how words and grammar get messed up. Like I said, that is not nearly as important as the correct part number. If we were doing book reports here, now that is something else...