"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is this thing you call 'salt'?

We get a LOT of snow! Probably easily ten times what you guys get.

We just don't use salt on the roads.

You ask me, it's a conspiracy by the automotive industry to sell more cars...

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is this thing you call 'salt'?

We get a LOT of snow! Probably easily ten times what you guys get.

We just don't use salt on the roads.

You ask me, it's a conspiracy by the automotive industry to sell more cars...
You must be higher up than Index. The google-machine says Index, WA gets only 15" per year, less than the national average. ;Poke

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got more snow than that before the middle of october!

And... I actually live in what is called a micro-climate. Index gets way more precipitation than even some place as close as Gold Bar, but I get about 30% more precipitation than Index. Regardless of what google says. And not far down the road from me is even worse. Baring probably gets twice the snow we do. And I can drive there in about 4 minutes.

:)

The clouds come rolling across the flatlands from the coast, and pile up right over me. Having to drop enough precipitation, to then be able to get across the mountains.

Sometimes I kind of wish I'd known more about this property before I bought it. You don't have to go very far from here to get 100% better weather, and more sunlight...

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Further derailment....

I use to dream about living in Skykomish when I would drive by to ski Steven’s. Use to hike Cowboy Ridge and ski down Tunnel Creek to the highway and hitchhike back to the resort.

The days before Vail ruined it, and when it wasn’t so busy cause Seattle grew so much.

That area gets a wee bit more than the google machine notes. LOL

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When they quoted you price for galvanizing did they also include coating thickness? Hot dip galvanizing is typically rated G20 thru G90. G90 is often specified in government specs and likely what's used on the guardrails you mentioned. Even at the low end of the scale you're going to have a superior frame when compared to the factory original. Anxious to see the finished product!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The suspense is killing me! When do we get to see that galvanized frame?

You're not going to make it then LOL

They're waaaay backed up. They have state contracts with penalties if they're late. The stuff I dropped off for work is 20-30 days out MINIMUM. I told them I'd be perfectly happy if I get it in April (although I do expect it sometime in March).

I've got enough other stuff to do and I won't be working on it until it warms up, so it's honestly nice not having it in the way here.

I understand though, I'm dying to see it too!

When they quoted you price for galvanizing did they also include coating thickness? Hot dip galvanizing is typically rated G20 thru G90. G90 is often specified in government specs and likely what's used on the guardrails you mentioned. Even at the low end of the scale you're going to have a superior frame when compared to the factory original. Anxious to see the finished product!

No they didn't. I honestly think they just do everything to the same spec but I'm really not sure. There was no discussion about it and I didn't bother to ask.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Chris, I'm kind of on the fence yet, but I'm seriously considering copying your idea if you don't mind.
I really like the idea of the galvanized frame, I may give it a try on my project truck..
I'm looking forward to seeing you get yours done.

Rock

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about using this when I get the frame back. It'll give it the nice clean black look I want, and will prevent premature depletion of the zinc. Win win?

@Farmer Rock I'll definitely give you my opinion when I get the frame back. Is there anyone near you that does galvanizing? I know there's someone in PA that does it I just don't know who.

We've had some stuff done for work by Hubbell out of the Utica NY area and their work looks TERRIBLE! The local place looks much better but their lead time is awful. I guess we can't have our cake AND eat it too? LOL

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about using this when I get the frame back. It'll give it the nice clean black look I want, and will prevent premature depletion of the zinc. Win win?

@Farmer Rock I'll definitely give you my opinion when I get the frame back. Is there anyone near you that does galvanizing? I know there's someone in PA that does it I just don't know who.

We've had some stuff done for work by Hubbell out of the Utica NY area and their work looks TERRIBLE! The local place looks much better but their lead time is awful. I guess we can't have our cake AND eat it too? LOL
Just remember the way it works….

Good, Fast and Cheap…… pick TWO….

Good and Fast isn’t Cheap
Cheap and Fast isn’t Good
Good and Cheap isn’t Fast

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember the way it works….

Good, Fast and Cheap…… pick TWO….

Good and Fast isn’t Cheap
Cheap and Fast isn’t Good
Good and Cheap isn’t Fast

This stuff isn't very cheap so? LOL

I've heard good reviews though. I'm sure it's not a one and done but nothing ever is with rust. Should be a good base to touch up after a couple years with fluid film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online