"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made the right call on the bearings. Most of the bearings had spun at some point, there was a lot of wear and from the looks of things they got HOT at some point.

You must be registered for see images attach

Surprisingly enough, the rollers and the races looked pretty decent.

My guess is they got hot whenever the fluid broke down a few years ago. Scrubbed everything I could out of the housing really well. There was lots of grime in all the nooks and crannies but the fluid I put in last year still looked pretty good other than being dirty from the sludge in the system.

I hadn't thought about needing a break in oil change so I'll have to get some more oil. Don't want to waste the Amsoil for a break in.

The crush sleeve eliminator install was pretty simple, just tedious torquing and removing and repeating.

Helps if you put the bearing and slinger in BEFORE putting the seal on. Gahhhhh. Luckily I had a spare.

Tossed in new spider gears for good measure. The old ones were ok but definitely had a little wear. I really don't want to open this thing back up again!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Test drive went well. No change in the vibration but at least it's not worse hahaha.

I realized today that I over torqued the pinion nut by 25lb/ft but I don't think it should be a problem with the crush sleeve eliminator in place.

Talking to a few people I decided to forgo the break in oil change. Didn't change the ring and pinion and that seems to be the primary reason for the break in is the initial gear wear. Dumped the Amsoil 75-140 in and let it go. Those gear oil BAGS are a lifesaver!

Now I'm not afraid to drive it. I still don't know what happened with the clutch slipping last year, but it's seemed fine since. Maybe it just got too hot and needed to cool down? I still don't TRUST it, but I'm not going to worry too much either.

I have a few more things to try for the vibration before I send the driveshaft out for balance. Think I'll pull the tires off and run it on jack stands just to be sure it's not a tire issue.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever it turns out to be, you'll probably kick yourself and think "I should have thought of that right away". At least that's how it usually works for me.

Yeah that's usually the case for me too.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pretty suspicious of the drums, but I can't find anything wrong with the passenger side (the side I most suspected, the inner blew 3 tires on the Texas trip). Maximum inner diameter says 310.1mm and they measure roughly 309mm (using a not super accurate drum brake caliper). I expected it to be out of round but with careful measuring it does indeed seem to be wearing evenly. I've got a weak brake pedal pulsation when coming up to a stop and I was hoping they might be related.

They're genuine Ford drums though which is a nice sign:

There's no detectable play in the wheel bearing.

I beat all the rust scale off of the drum with a needle scaler before putting it back on hoping maybe every little bit might help.

I'm suspicious of the tires too given the age and condition. The passenger inner dual is pretty worn down and the build date is 2014 so it's 8 years old.

The other three on the back aren't worn down very much but are still 6 years old with a build date of 2016.

I can't afford new tires yet, when I get a little more ambition I'll pop the inner tires off and see if there's any change to the vibration. If there is a notable change I'll swap them again and run just the inners.

They're not SUPER old, but the only tires I've ever had blow apart were old tires to begin with.

The u-joints all have a hair of play, but I don't think they're loose enough to cause the issue I'm having. They're not sloppy, just not tight. If switching the tires around doesn't make any difference I'm just going to buy new u-joints and send the driveshaft out to get balanced so I know that's taken care of. I greased them while I was under there for good measure.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This gives you a relative comparison of the condition of the passenger side tires. The one on the left in the picture is the same as the two on the driver's side. The one on the right in the picture is the oldest one.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jacked up the truck on stands today to isolate the vibration. Tires in the air still vibrates. Pulled the tires off and it seems fine?

Drivers outside tire definitely looks like it's wobbling to me.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Passenger side looks ok? I thought the inner tire was wobbling but it looks ok in the video.

Driver's brakes are catching somehow. Wouldn't that have to be a warped drum?

There's some odd markings inside the drum, but they don't appear to be raised at all.

I put the two best tires back on and while in the air I don't notice the vibration anymore. I have yet to drive it, hopefully tomorrow.

Thoughts?

I'm planning on taking that bad tire to the shop and see what they say about it. Hopefully they can tell me if the wheel is bent or something or if it's just the tire.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've had new drums that had that weird splotch mark before, and they grabbed super hard at just that spot, warrantied them out with another new pair and it stopped. Only vibrated on braking though.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had new drums that had that weird splotch mark before, and they grabbed super hard at just that spot, warrantied them out with another new pair and it stopped. Only vibrated on braking though.

They've been on here longer than I've had the truck (which was 2015 I think?). It's odd that the drivers side brake is "scrubbing" but the passenger side is what blew the tires out on my long trip....

I might toss that drum on my friends lathe, mine is too small. At least to see if I can knock down the high spot wherever it may be.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would absolutely love to, just can't swing it this year. I'm very anxious to hear how everyone likes the place because it sounds great and I'd definitely like to go there eventually.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the new tires on today. The vibration is still gone but I can see the tire wobbling in the mirror even after I told them to check the wheels before mounting. I'm starting to run out of ideas here. Might have to just try another set of wheels anyway.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to give up matching painted wheel, but she rolls true now! Turns out the wheel was bent after all. I can finally drive my truck without the mirror flapping like a bird LOL

Got the old junk tires mounted up on some spare wheels for "just in case". Now I have a few spares for the next trip.

Next project will likely be replacing the driver's seat, at least with a temporary seat. The padding is almost completely gone on the outside of the seat and it's rather uncomfortable to ride like that.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the seat that came in it. Says "Seats-n-stuff" on the handle. Anyone know if they're still in business?

Here's the seat I was planning on putting in....

Full power, 6 way? Front/back/tilt all that jazz. But it's just too tall using the brackets in the truck. I had the plates all drilled up and was ready to bolt it in.....

Can't sit up straight, my head hits the roof!

I had another seat I made fit but it's still too high. I'll have to build custom brackets at some point, might have to put the old seat back in.

Looks like the upfitter seats bolt in just like a bench seat. Two bolts driver, two passenger. It'd be simple if there were bolted in independently.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Sunday folks,

Put the old seat back in today. Drove to town this morning and it was just awful with the height of the other seat.

Here's a better picture showing how bad the original seat is. Notice the difference in the padding from one side to the other.

Definitely liking the looks of the ATs on the truck better than the HT tires I have on the other side LOL

I straightened out the tweaked front bumper that was bugging me. I'm considering putting the push bumper off the parts truck on but haven't made up my mind yet.... Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online