"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always wondered why people had issues running cold in the winter. I wonder if I would have if my fan had been working!
Me too. Never had trouble in the winter and nice heat. One summer it was 90 degrees and drove it in stop and go traffic for an hour. Temp gauge which always seemed low was more on the normal area. Turned the key off and the truck wouldn't shut off. Lifted the hood to pull the fs connector. Fan was barely spinning like slow enough that I could stop it with a finger.

It was a good Italian tuneup. Never did replace it. It's getting a new one during the build.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I figured I'd try something. After losing several tires on the Texas trip a few years ago, and finding it IMPOSSIBLE to add/check air in the inside dual I figured this was worth a shot.

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.dualdynamics.com/products/cross-fire/

At $130/pair delivered it's a little pricey, but if it saves even one tire it's paid for.

Didn't like the universal brackets they come with so I got some made up at work.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Do you think you need a counter weight 180 degrees opposite? (Maybe a little longer braket.) That is like adding wheel weights to one side of your tire. Could cause some wheel wobble or bounce. Maybe stress the axle bearing a little if its having an effect.

Perhaps you make a braket that uses two nuts on the axle endcap and puts the gauge at the axle center?

Looks a little heavy but maybe it's all aluminum and light as a feather. Maybe with the weight of two tires and two metal rims its too little to matter. But ballanced tires ride smoother and last longer, which I think is your end game.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think you need a counter weight 180 degrees opposite? (Maybe a little longer braket.) That is like adding wheel weights to one side of your tire. Could cause some wheel wobble or bounce. Maybe stress the axle bearing a little if its having an effect.

Perhaps you make a braket that uses two nuts on the axle endcap and puts the gauge at the axle center?

Looks a little heavy but maybe it's all aluminum and light as a feather. Maybe with the weight of two tires and two metal rims its too little to matter. But ballanced tires ride smoother and last longer, which I think is your end game.

Yeah it's aluminum and really doesn't weigh much. We'll see if it's even noticable going down the road. I had thought about that but I tend to overthink often so I figured I'd run it and see.

There really isn't anyplace that would work better, I could get it a little closer to the wheel, or I could flip it around and get the weight more on the hub itself...... We'll see. I'm thinking I probably won't even feel it. I'm thinking it might stick out too far if mounted on the hub like you were saying.

I'm more concerned with the stainless hoses rubbing against the rims, might have to sleeve a small section with rubber hose.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just run balance beads and forget about it. I'll NEVER go back to lead wheel weights after using balance beads.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just run balance beads and forget about it. I'll NEVER go back to lead wheel weights after using balance beads.

I know you have good luck with them, but I'm running them in the 250 and they are terrible! I don't know if there's not enough there or what but I wasn't impressed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The only issue that I had was when I first mounted tires with them inside and forgot which balance dot to line up with the valve stem. Naturally I lined up the red dot and they weren't very impressive. Once I lined up the yellow dots, they were like totally different tires.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only issue that I had was when I first mounted tires with them inside and forgot which balance dot to line up with the valve stem. Naturally I lined up the red dot and they weren't very impressive. Once I lined up the yellow dots, they were like totally different tires.

Well these tires were used and I didn't have any dots to go off of. That could be part of it, but I don't know.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got the front bolts in for my mirrors today!

This was my solution. 1x2 section of 1/4" stainless, tapped for the threads of the bottom bolts from the old mirrors.

I was going to glue it in place with RTV so it wouldn't fall off, but I'll be darned if I could find my RTV.

Wasn't too hard to reach, but wasn't exactly easy lol.

Much better!

Got the other tire equalizer installed too. Picking away at it!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coolant temp gauge finally installed!

This truck doesn't like the AC running lol. Can't wait until I get the studded turbo'd engine swapped in!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Well I figured I'd try something. After losing several tires on the Texas trip a few years ago, and finding it IMPOSSIBLE to add/check air in the inside dual I figured this was worth a shot.

http://www.dualdynamics.com/products/cross-fire/

At $130/pair delivered it's a little pricey, but if it saves even one tire it's paid for.

Didn't like the universal brackets they come with so I got some made up at work.

I might have to look into that, after suffering 2 blowouts in one day on my dually camper I need to upgrade something!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might have to look into that, after suffering 2 blowouts in one day on my dually camper I need to upgrade something!

Yeah it's really not much fun! I hope they didn't do too much damage when they blew!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online