"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my truck frame done for about $250 I think. The wanted another 200 to epoxy prime it. That was a mistake on my part. Should have let them do it. Sand blasting place here in MD.

Almost worth the drive!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these several years based on suggestion from a friend however never tried it. He claims it does a really good job. If you clean parts larger than the average blast cabinet can handle, might be worth trying???
You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@catbird7

That's actually pretty cool. I'd be worrying too much about making sure it was dry! I bet it works good though. It would give me another reason to buy a pressure washer LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well a few days ago I got my passenger side mirror installed:

I had used some socket head cap screws cut down, but I wasn't really digging that because there's not much surface area on them holding on.

Today I started on the other side with some 1/4-20x3/4 stainless panhead phillips screws. I ground one side of the screws flat to resemble the bottom of the T bolts the original truck had.

Kinda hard to see, but you might be able to tell if you look closely.

I'm using aluminum bonded seal washers, stainless lock washers, and stainless acorn nuts.

Same as the other side, two of the bottom bolts lined right up with the holes for the original mirrors!

Got a new convex mirror for the passenger side in the mail today. New heated mirror heads will be here Friday, and the new fan clutch should be delivered tomorrow! :Thumbs Up

Still have to drill for the front bottom bolts. @tjsea had a great suggestion, so I'm going to use a pair of the torx screws from the old mirrors and weld the correct hex nut to a fender washer for the inside so everything matches up good!

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yesterday my heated mirrors showed up. Or, more honestly one of the two I ordered did :dunno I emailed the seller, hopefully they'll just send me another one on Tuesday.

Old mirror was in pretty rough shape. I'm glad I didn't try to put the new convex mirror on because the bottom nut just sheared off, exactly as expected honestly.

New one on! I'm waiting to drill for the wiring until I tear the door apart to install that missing front bolt. I want to make certain I run the cable where the window regulator won't be hitting it.

I ran some polish over all the brackets and mirror backs and washed all the mirrors and windows after I was done. Looks much better now!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Motorcraft fan clutch installed! The old one was pretty grimy so I'm guessing it spilled its fluid. Probably a good thing I changed it, I noticed a little bit of wobble when removing it. Not a lot by any means but more than the new one has for sure.

Old one was a lot more loose rotationally too. There goes 2mpg LOL

Temp gauge is supposed to show up on Thursday.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How freely should the fan spin by hand? (Engine not running, and cold, of course.)

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How freely should the fan spin by hand? (Engine not running, and cold, of course.)

I can't answer that yet, truck was plenty warm when I changed it lol. I'll go out and take a look in a little bit. I just mowed so it should have had time to cool down some, now it's my turn to cool down LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know how else to say? It has a noticable amount of resistance, the fan will not freewheel at all, stops instantly when "spun". It's not "hard" to turn like it might appear in the video, just a decent amount of resistance. Mind you the truck has been sitting a few hours and is what I would call "cold". I can comfortably lean on the radiator and it's not warm.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

Apparently mine is fine. Just seems like it is ALWAYS spinning hard when the engine is running...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online