Supercharging?

Greenmachine

Reaction score
So I'm a littel curious about supercharging 6.9 or 7.3s, has anyone done it ? What are the pros and cons, Iv seen alot of turbo setups but nothin really with supercharging. Would the power band be more level with a supercharger than a turbo? Thanks! ( the pic is mine)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    911.4 KB · Views: 277

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Well...ill tell you it's a fools errand. Noisy and no bypass. Hard start in cold, and when you need boost as rpm drops, boost drops. Need more?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of those issues could be attributed to the size of the supercharger you had. Especially the issue with boost dropping. There are definitely pros and cons though.

Greenmachine

Reaction score
I see, I was checking out you build seemed like the sc was a hair small but still sweet application. I love taking on a challenge and just happen to have this MASSIVE supercharger at my disposal. What does no bypass mean??

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same question I was just pondering, I have an old gmc 671 I picked up thru trading a few months ago. Planned on using it for my falcon gasser build but decided to go with an old cross ram and daul quds for that. So now the blower is a dust catcher waiting to be used.

R32R1

Reaction score
So stupid and a waste of money. Superchargers suck in general but that's my opinion. I've only seen them worth anything on built V8 gassers.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No point. A turbo is much more efficient economical and effective. m

Only real advantage to a supercharger is that you have no lag, but this is much less likely to be an issue in a truck application than say a race engine. The flow is also not going to match load the way a turbo does, and you'll have lots of losses from pumping all that air all the time.

Note that the detroit blower isn't really designed for a high boost pressure - it's main function is simply to move air into the cylinders. This is why you some also had a turbo added for greater power.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No point. A turbo is much more efficient economical and effective. m

Only real advantage to a supercharger is that you have no lag, but this is much less likely to be an issue in a truck application than say a race engine. The flow is also not going to match load the way a turbo does, and you'll have lots of losses from pumping all that air all the time.

Note that the detroit blower isn't really designed for a high boost pressure - it's main function is simply to move air into the cylinders. This is why you some also had a turbo added for greater power.

Agree 100% with that - I've had to explain the difference between a blower and supercharger too many times to count! Not to mention, the parasitic drag on the antiquated GMC/DD design is horrific.

Eli

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as an avid automobile enthusiast,
i commend people who think outside of the box.
wither they succeed or fail, props for those who have tried.

just like many of my projects, i have heard it all
from "thats just plain retarded" to " youll never make it work"

it inspires me to try that much harder to do what i want to do...

it may not be practical, it may not be efficient, but dawg gone, its mine and ill build it the way i want! ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
An owner did build a nice supercharger on his idi. It was well done and the unit was from BDS.. They are about 3 miles from me so I printed a pic from ebay and went in to ask about this application. Their engineer talked with me and said they did not build that but they "could" engineer one for me for around $18,000.00. If I got more than just one the price would drop. So the more I got the less the cost was.. No takers. The guy that built that supercharged idi said it was not making as much boost as a turbo ... No need to try

Greenmachine

Reaction score
Thanks you guys very much I'll keep this blower for the "future" haha! But I'll Probally turbo my idi if I every do decide I need more power. I'm the exact same way IDIoit , if some one tells me it can't be done it's only a matter of time before I do it, should have my middle name changed to custom lol :D thanks for all the input!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a few bucks on those blowers back in the 90's. Got em off the old Greyhound Line busses that where being scrapped out. All the blowers came off the Detroit 8V71's, they were two strokers, blower was needed to flush out the cylinder exhaust. Sold most of them to guys with gassers for drag strip IIRC. Top RPM on those Detroits was 2200.