Supercharging?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone does a supercharger with a diesel, its best to add a turbo in conjunction with it. There are quite a few Cummins guys that have done it. Look up Crazy Carl on the Cummins forums. He has done some awesome builds. I am about to finally pull my engine and do my supercharger setup. Also FYI, Banks Diesel has a supercharged dragster Duramax that is pretty sweet. Look that up as week.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the 2 stroke detriots will not run without the supercharger. Isnt blower just slang for a supercharger?

I want to see the supercharger setup that the few IDI guys have done, I think that would be cool to have.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^holy crap that is an annoying sound lol

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lemme clear some misunderstandings here.

The idea that superchargers are terrible for diesels is a complete lie for these IDI's so don't make judgement on something you have no experience with.

Here's why I think Superchargers are ideal for our trucks:

You get more horses at lower rpm's, flattening out the the power curve
You don't have any restriction on the exhaust, making less compression in the engine: lower EGTs and no need for head studs
You can easily customize how much psi you want by quickly changing your pulley size
You can supercharge our engine for 1/10 of the price of a turbo (Yes I have done BOTH)

Why you shouldn't Supercharge:
There is almost no build help, you are kinda on your own with these kinds of projects
You do not have experience with fabrication and or lack a welder and proper equipment

If you are paying someone to give your truck forced induction, then go ahead, go with a turbo because although it is going to be expensive, it would probably be cheaper than having someone fab up everything you need for your supercharger install

To be clear, you do not "loose all your boost at higher rpms" I loose four psi from taking off to 3rd gear @3700 rpms- its all in how you setup your supercharger, I could see maybe a loss of ten psi if you were using a supercharger for a little 4 banger

All in all green machine, I asked this same question months ago and received the same answer, but maybe this will be some help in giving you some info from all angles! Sorry if this offended people btw, not trying to tick anyone off, just stating facts.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^holy crap that is an annoying sound lol

Its because he put an M90 with a 1 inch pulley, causes the supercharger to spin more... much more than it was designed for, from the sound of that I would give it a month before he swaps to a M112

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the 2 stroke detriots will not run without the supercharger. Isnt blower just slang for a supercharger?

I want to see the supercharger setup that the few IDI guys have done, I think that would be cool to have.

A blower works to scavenge air, and 2-stroke Detroits (etc.) need it to push exhaust out and fresh air in.
A supercharger does what the name implies - it supercharges the air (charge) in the intake.
Turbocharger is shorthand for turbine supercharger which was also briefly known as a turbo-supercharger.
The big issue with 'roots-type' blowers/superchargers is horrible efficiency, on EMD (think really big Detroit) 2-strokes the turbocharged (no blower) engines produce 15-20% more horsepower on the same amount of fuel. Turbochargers use waste exhaust heat, superchargers are a parasitic load.

Eli

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thewespaul, how many pounds of boost are you pushing with your setup? Also what kind of supercharger is it and is there a build thread anywhere?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thewespaul, how many pounds of boost are you pushing with your setup? Also what kind of supercharger is it and is there a build thread anywhere?

13 lbs @2000 rpm
10 lbs @3000 rpm

Eaton M90 with stock pulley, its a gen 2 off a buick, paid $180 for it. No build thread

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry but that blower noise is more than I can stand. The talk here about adding a cheaper blower compared to a normal turbo is impressive. The blowers used on the top fuel engines are nothing like what we can use. The internal designs are much different. They are an impressive piece of machinery to say the least. They do have a large hp draw on the engines too. I was reading it was nearly 10%.. Thats about 800 hp off the top. That equals 4 running idi engines.... I do like bringing in more low end boost but what I run works very well for me and what I do with my rig. Adding a blower on top of your idi is a formidable task. My hats off to those that can and have done it. Pics sure would be great to see too.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13 lbs @2000 rpm
10 lbs @3000 rpm

Eaton M90 with stock pulley, its a gen 2 off a buick, paid $180 for it. No build thread

That's not a bad amount of boost for an M90. What size of pulley are you running? Also did you use some sort of multiple setup like a jack shaft or something like that? Pics would help too. Thanks for sharing. I just pulled my engine and when I put it back in, it'll have an Hx50 turbo blowing into an Eaton M112.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prochargers are good but really expensive, I will post pics when I can, currently N/A while I am building a new bracket to incorporate my fuel pump and fuel filter assembly, I literally made a bracket where the factory fuel filter assembly was to mount the SC and routed air into a ats plenum really simple, stock pulley but I had the internals refreshed and a friend of mine work his magic on it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talked to my friend who is currently using my welder, look like its gonna be awhile before I have it back, I started with a steel plate and then drilled out holes for bolts. Next I torched out the hot air side port and made a box that led to a 3 inch elbow, welded it together and routed it to the intake. just had to line up the pulley and get a bigger belt and I was done. mounted on passenger side btw, I have no body lift and fit under the hood fine

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin