Subways DT360 into my 94 F350

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
It runs in the family, I remember my dad chaining 25 ft wood beams under the axles of his 69 F 250 to get them home. I can't tell you how many engines, transmissions or axles his old 81 civic hatchback has hauled!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the best one I did was hauling 10 foot joints of drain pipe in my Elantra. Lots of looks loading it at the HD. [emoji23]

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Complete pan to carb, fan to flex plate Chevy 305 in the trunk of my towncar and the trunk even closed.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murphy was just waiting for the right time to rain on your DT swap parade. Sorry man. That does suck. I too have never seen a 10.25 shoved up the butt of a Cav, but you made her fit. LOL

Heath

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's weird to me you had a semi floating rear in your 1-ton. Maybe you said, but I'd assume it's swapped.

Nice work getting that axle home! Nothing like breakage forcing an upgrade before a planned trip. -cuss

subway

Reaction score
Yea, I assume it is swapped. I almost have the axle fully put together and bolted in. I will have to do a better update then but working overtime, multiple vehicle break downs and pushing to get this truck back together for camping have left me very little extra time.

I feel bad my son wanted the truck to fall off the jacks so I would not have to work on it and could play. I think I will be throttling back soon.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Took a family day today. With guys trip then crazy work, my son has barely seen me awake in a month.

It's hard to find balance....but oh that sound.... [emoji16]

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Murphy was just waiting for the right time to rain on your DT swap parade. Sorry man. That does suck. I too have never seen a 10.25 shoved up the butt of a Cav, but you made her fit. LOL

Heath
And you have seen many things shoved where they don't belong!

subway

Reaction score
It's done and in, everything seems to be working well. I guess I set all the shims and back lash right. Time for sleep I have to get up for work in a couple hrs!

subway

Reaction score
Time to catch up a little bit. I already shared picking up another axle housing LOL.

I was really looking for another axle assembly to just drop in and go but unfortunately tapping all my parts friends did not yield a ready to go assembly. I am sure I could have waited for one but in the interest of time I chose the next best option. I picked up another assembly that the gear set had been robbed from but was otherwise complete. I did have another axle I was saving out back but it had some water damage. So I started the tear down.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old semi float shafts pulled out

Old open rear, the bearings were actually fairly worn down in this axle. The races were all worn down past the outer chrome and the carrier assembly just dropped out with no tension on the bearings.

It took some plasma cutting action and a sludge to break open the spare I had out back.

subway

Reaction score
Fortunately the spare I had out back had good bearings in it with a trac lock. I ended up pulling the ring gear off the spare since it had some rust on the gears and re using my semi float gears on the spare carrier. I then placed all of the spare bearings and carrier into the new housing I picked up.

Part way through assembly.

I was playing with the gear pattern. Once I got the pattern I wanted I put in a new crush sleeve and set the pinion bearings pre load. On a side note, the parts stores only carry the 8.8 crush sleeve. After some searching I found the 8.8, 9 inch and 10.25 all run the same sleeve.

It took some serious cheater bars to set the pinion preload crushing the sleeve. I almost thought my harbor freight breaker bar was not going to make it lol. Once I got close to the pre load I wanted I was torquing about one flat at a time until I had what I wanted.

After I got a good pre load and set the side shims on the carrier I rechecked the play. I had .013 backlash, it was in the .005 to .015 range so I called it good and buttoned it up.

The rest was bolting it all in and re making the brake lines.

subway

Reaction score
I didn't get much for pictures but I buttoned it up and took the first test drive at 1:30 in the morning. Everything seemed fine so I drove it to work a couple hrs later for a shake down. Everything worked like it should so once I got home I hitched up the 5th and headed out! My friends think I am crazy, I tell them they have no balls.

subway

Reaction score
Safe travels man! Glad you got her back on the road!
Thanks, time to relax, enjoy family and honor my grandfather and others who have passed on.