Subways DT360 into my 94 F350

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have the lug wrench, just no Jack or handle.
I may need the handle retainers also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Funny I put the factory jack and such back together with salvage yard parts about 2 years ago just so it was right. I actually have a couple of extra jacks, the yard only charged a couple bucks so I got some extra lol the lug wrench does not even fit though. I found another that is larger and it just sits behind my seat along with another jack.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

subway

Reaction score
Well now that someone mentioned my factory jack cough, cough lol I had to take it out. It would not fit right with my air filter. I could not quite get the right angle I wanted with the size of the boots, even though I cut them down, but it works. It's an old k&n filter from a fox body mustang. I am not sure how this works but my truck seems to smoke slightly less with it on. Maybe it is directing air into the turbo more efficiently.

You must be registered for see images attach

I also did some look overs with the truck and replaced a broken e clip on the u joint.

next I got my front vinyl and shifter boots in. About halfway through.

I scrubbed them down more and got the seat back in. What a difference in the cab! It does not echo like a sound chamber anymore and I can hear the radio! Onto some more smooth driving.

subway

Reaction score
What filter did you have?
Could you fit a 6637 in there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I was running wide open filter free before. I could most likely fit a regular napa filter in and I might do that later. I just had this one around I used to run on my truck before.

subway

Reaction score
I have not done an update since I have finally used my truck to tow the 5th wheel. just a blip in another thread so I want to give a more thorough run down of the good the bad and the ugly.

I took the truck this past weekend from York PA out to Paris OH to go camping with some diesel friends. it was a great time and gave me a chance to really test the engine through the Appalachian mountains. overall I was impressed with the engine, it really started to shine with the amount of torque it could pour on going up hills. since I am not running an overdrive most of the drive out was in the 55-60 range the whole time. I never had to drop down gears or back off my speed up any steep long grades. just for the heck of it at one point I was running about 55 about a mile into a good hill and I just stood on it to pass a rig. the engine buckled down rode up to 18 psi and started pulling harder up the grade and soon I was passing him at 65. the pyro jumped up to about 1200 but I think that might be reading a little high. since I never bough the "special" wire that was about $75 at the time to connect the thermocouple to the gage I just used regular wire with good connections. I am thinking it might be off some. when I am running hard empty up a hill with no smoke at all coming out I can push it to 1100. around flattish areas my pyro was hovering in the 6-700 range towing and 5-600 empty.

since I have not installed any cooling fans yet I was worried that it would be a concern and I might have to really watch it. that turned out to be no problem at all, 98 percent of the time I was running cool in the 170 to 180 range. the only time it slowly creeped up was 2 really long grades and even then it never got above 200. I know this was not a complete torture test with no ac running and ambient temps in the low 70 deg on the way out and probably 40-50 deg on the way back but I would have never pulled that off in the idi. Jon sent me some cooling fans so I will get them set up soon I hope.

it got to the point I stopped watching the gages, I have never been able to do that before towing with the idi. I always drove by pyro and after a while my water temps would start getting out of control and I had to back way down. some of the hills I shot up doing 60 easily running low numbers on all the gages brought my idi down to 35 mph while riding the 220-230 deg water temp and 1100 pyro line.

I only really kept track of fuel mileage the first tank but I was getting 13mpg pulling the mountains and it took me 2 tanks to get to Ohio. the funny part was on the way back it only took me a tank and a half. I am thinking some tail wind might be helping but it could also be the engine settling in. time will tell but I figure I jumped 1 or 2 mpg on the way back.

now the bad. I know this pump was not going to be a rocket pump but I wish I could squeeze some more out of it. it starts de fueling towards the top of the rpm range and even if I am not hitting the governor I loose my boost and power. as long as I could keep it in the fueling range it pulled hard but started falling on its face much above 65. it would also fall short in shifting gears under load, I had to really push it if I wanted to get the camper moving to try to offset the defueling when it revved up. I could also use more fuel, once my turbo lights up all smoke is completely gone. I don't even get a slight haze of extra fuel, I know I could use more.

I have a slight driveline vibration at about 25 mph. its more noticeable under load with the camper. I am thinking that one of my drive shafts is out of balance and I might try having them done if I cant find anything checking them over. funny part is they are completely smooth as far as I can tell anywhere besides 25 mph up to about 75 with no shakes or vibration anywhere else.

I really like the low 7 something to 1 first for pulling out on hills and backing up but the 3rd to 4th jump is rough. it is not so bad empty but pulling, especially when I need to move it or start off on a hill the 3rd to 4th jump is to large. I cant keep any boost between gears and I end up lugging or really light on the go pedal for a bit until I can get the rpms up enough for the turbo to spool again. its hard to not put on a smoke show every time between 3rd and 4th I have also mentioned many times now I wish it was overdrive to LOL

the 5th wheel weighs in at about 6800lbs. I know many tow more but this is the biggest I have LOL

overall my truck pulled like a freight train and I am really happy with it. this was a good run to show me where I can improve things.

subway

Reaction score
I also did some playing with some extra tires I have. found a set of 315/75 16 for free. 2 of the tires were shot but 2 had about 3/8 of tread, well enough to give them a road test to see how much they could help my rpm's

I bolted them on and have to admit the bigger tires look cooler. using my gps I figured I gained about 5 mph at the same rpm on my engine which matches up with what my spread sheet is telling me. funny part was I could not really go any faster. I figured the larger rolling resistance and engine defueling at the top of the rpm band killed any extra speed I could have gotten out of them. it was fun for a bit but I pulled them back off.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting build. Been following along, but had nothing to add. Sounds like it's working good for you!

You've probably answered a few times, but what rear end gears are you running?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You thinking about a P-pump or modifying yours? Turbo swap?

Green with envy here man!

Heath

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
So how do you move the governor out 5 or 6 hundred rpm on that pump? Does throttle arm travel play a role?

subway

Reaction score
Interesting build. Been following along, but had nothing to add. Sounds like it's working good for you!

You've probably answered a few times, but what rear end gears are you running?
I am running 3.55 gears with 265 75 16 size tires. This engine just does not rev high at all. I am figuring around 26 to 2700 max at the moment.

subway

Reaction score
You thinking about a P-pump or modifying yours? Turbo swap?

Green with envy here man!

Heath
Thanks! I would like a p pump but swinging one without a core, having it rebuilt and buying the adapter might end up costing as much as my swap lol. I might try to see what I can get out of this pump with a rebuilder. If I could get the rpm's and fuel curve up and push 400 hp out of this one i think I would be a real happy camper. I have to see if this bosch A pump could support that reliably.

subway

Reaction score
So how do you move the governor out 5 or 6 hundred rpm on that pump? Does throttle arm travel play a role?
Right now I am using all of the throttle travel. That was a little tricky to get aligned right with the pedal travel.

If you open up a side cover you can crank up two governer springs equally. They move in one click increments. I turned mine up 4 clicks a side. According to the video that is about all you can go and not mess up the idle characteristics. I did notice my idle raised up some after I did that.

Jon and I followed this guy with turning up the pump. I believe he was on here as neverenough a while ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HlWbNdLOE_A

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A-pumps are not shabby at all and can put out impressive fuel when modified. Heck, you can go as large as 13mm plunger's in an A-pump if you wanted to get nuts. LOL But, you'd be able to get the fuel you need without going that crazy.

Heath