Subways DT360 into my 94 F350

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. so I don't think VW or Porsche will work because they are too thick. They are small and tall.

Fans look like this although I think this fan is from a flat 6 Porsche and has been grafted onto this thing.

You must be registered for see images attach

I guess that leaves tractors for mechanical options. I have been wracking my brain trying to think of another oddball engine application that would have needed that type of belt drive fan. I'm empty for now.

Last edited:

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How you gonna belt drive a fan and still let the engine flex/move around under load, frame twist, etc?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This got me to thinking, like an old tractor could I add a bearing and fan on front of the injection pump cover and feed it off of on of the extra grooves I have? I might toy with that. I kinda like the simple reliability of a engine driven fan.

Just need to find a decent idler pulley set up that could handle the stress of the fan.
For what it's worth, I don't know if later engines were set up like this, but at least the early 12 valve Cummins 6BT is set up like that. The water pump if off to the side, and there's a separate piece that bolts on to the block to hold a pulley that only drives the fan. Might be worth looking into...

With fan pulley installed, but fan removed:

With fan pulley removed; you can see where it bolted to the block (directly to the left of the injector pump drive gear; above and to the left of the camshaft drive gear), and the water pump is below and to the left of where the fan hub bolted on in the picture (passenger's side):

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
How you gonna belt drive a fan and still let the engine flex/move around under load, frame twist, etc?

the fan would be mounted to the engine so it would move with it, yea I would not run a pulley to the frame or core support lol

For what it's worth, I don't know if later engines were set up like this, but at least the early 12 valve Cummins 6BT is set up like that. The water pump if off to the side, and there's a separate piece that bolts on to the block to hold a pulley that only drives the fan. Might be worth looking into...

With fan pulley installed, but fan removed:

With fan pulley removed; you can see where it bolted to the block (directly to the left of the injector pump drive gear; above and to the left of the camshaft drive gear), and the water pump is below and to the left of where the fan hub bolted on in the picture (passenger's side):

that is pretty much exactly the idea I am thinking of. I would just mount it to some of the cover bolts on the injection pump cover if possible.

My little truck is running this fan.
https://webstore.spalusa.com/en-us/product/0118/products/fans/30102049/va18-ap71-ll-59a-16-c-12v.aspx
Nothing but good things to say about it, but my truck doesnt really do any hard work.

Here is a good place to see all they have
https://webstore.spalusa.com/en-us/productlist/0118/products/fans/fans+-+high+performance.aspx

Then you buy it on amazon to save $.

thanks, those are actually the exact fan I landed on after searching though some forums, reviews and ratings. the only hold back I have is they do not have any rating on the amperage draw. I doubt it is over the 35 amp rating of the controller I bought but I would like to confirm.

I am still up in the air but at this point I will probably go with a Volvo fan from Jon if I can make that fit. I like the idea of a mechanical fan but think I am going to be in more work than I can get done in the next couple weeks before camping.

as a side note I got an impromptu test of my cooling system. going to help a friend with my truck they had a highway shut down so I was stuck in stop and go traffic for 45 min with no cooling fan. I was not towing but it was constant pull forward a couple feet then stop. it took a while but the temp started to creep up after about 15 min and leveled off about 185. it never climbed above that, I was worried but the truck just hovered about 185 the whole time.

I also got my first mileage numbers, with a lot of hot rodding to feel the truck out, a good return line leak, hauling wood and sitting in traffic I pulled down about 13.5mpg. not terrible but I sure hope it goes up a few points.

thanks for all the feedback, it helps to bounce ideas and hear some real world results, I also learned to reply to multiple quotes:D

subway

Reaction score
So just some useless thinking here...
And I know it's kinda backwards from normal thinking, but I wander what would happen if you ran a thinner radiator so you could have more space for fans?
I don't know if actually have fans would offset the thinner radiator enough to make it effective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I think my wife might hurt me if I pulled the radiator lol its a aluminum radiator only a couple years old. I am not sure I would get a lot thinner, it is already a step down from a original 4 core to a 3 core. it seems to work well though. I have thought about pulling the condenser and running the fans between the intercooler and radiator. some slim line fans would most likely fit. I really want to keep my ac though, I can take heat but really like some of those "modern" luxuries.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe just shuffle the stack? Put the condenser out front? I won't do without AC. I lived without AC in my first truck. It's one of my non-negotiables these days.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Mine gets about 15-16 steady. The Volvo fan didn't draw too many amps if I recall correctly. I ran a 40A circuit breaker so it would trip and reset as necessary. So far so good. Thinking of it I have some 11" 950 cfm spals also. Like I said I'll throw all the fans in the truck when we meet and take your pick. If there's anything else let me know I've got lots of stuff around.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe just shuffle the stack? Put the condenser out front? I won't do without AC. I lived without AC in my first truck. It's one of my non-negotiables these days.
I've been thinking about doing that when I do my intercooler install. For me, two non-negotiables are working A/C (I'm a penguin; I'm uncomfortably hot above 68 degrees :shocked: ) and cruise control. For what it's worth, just about every pickup truck out there with a factory intercooler put the A/C condenser first, then I/C, then the radiator last. I figure there's a good reason for that ;Sweet

subway

Reaction score
Not much updated but I might push to get a front driveshaft in this week. I went to get my 5th wheel out and with all the rain we got lately I promptly stuck the truck. Even after I un hitched it was helpless lol

Had to break out my old Ford to pull it back to safety.

My wifey's first time driving the truck and she complained the clutch was way to stiff. I guess it is heavier than stock with the medium duty 14 inch clutch but it does not bother me.

On a side note the truck otherwise seems to handle the same in general. I can not tell a difference between how the truck handled before and now with the heavier engine. I must have set the track bar right to because I have not experienced any bump steer or wobble at all in the couple hundred miles I have put on the swap.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Deutz are air cooled....belt driven fan. Also my cat forklift at work has belt driven fan. Lol

subway

Reaction score
A little late night drive shaft cutting and splicing. It looks like a 2 piece drive shaft will work well in the front.

I found a good paper by spicer on drive shaft angles and geometry but I don't seem to be able to post pdf's here. Not sure on the copyright either. Hopefully I should have 4x4 back in the next couple days.

subway

Reaction score
About 70 inches overall, I would have to really drop my hoop on the cross member to clear it too with front suspension drop.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Beautiful day pulling a trans. Well...Not so much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk