Subways DT360 into my 94 F350

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one good thing about a full float is you can always pull the axles and drive shafts, stuff a rag in the hole and limp her home on the front axle. Not that I've ever had to do that. [emoji849]

Truck pulling can be ******* gears and we used to drive it everywhere.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's weird to me you had a semi floating rear in your 1-ton. Maybe you said, but I'd assume it's swapped.

Nice work getting that axle home! Nothing like breakage forcing an upgrade before a planned trip. -cuss

F350s never came with a semifloat, E350s come stock , even with a diesel. my 2003 has a dana 60 semifloat and I load its butt off but it just keeps hanging in. they do have a huge bearing and 35spline 1.5" shafts , but its still a Cclip axle shaft. mine is worn but not broken at 495,000km and I've used it well. when is empty I can feel the back end loose> I think its movement of the axle shafts inside the carrier.

if I had a bolt in option I would have changed it already.LOL

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
did you ever figure out what caused your lugs to work loose? Were they the wrong ones for those wheels or something along those lines?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have noticed it happen before but it was never all the lug nuts. I don't think they are the wrong ones but I might have to do with my torque. Like I said I always make sure to do the final torque with a torque wrench. I think I might not have been making them tight enough. I was going 90 to 100 ft lb when I looked it up I *** seeing recommendations of 140 ft lb.

I might have had some corrosion that did not let the wheel site completely in and broke up when I was driving leaving the lugs loose. I really don't know for certain but have been watching more closely lately.

It is a bit embarrassing to do a custom engine build and then have something stupid like have a wheel come off!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

subway

Reaction score
Well I finally found a hill to bring the dt360 to its knees. If anyone is familiar with 322 going into state college they should know the hill that goes around the reservoir. It has 2 truck run away ramps and is a general ***** going up. It is steep and has multiple good turns to kill all your momentum. I was cranking it out pretty good but about halfway up my water temps started to climb. I was running about 1200 on the pyro and I backed off when I saw 220 on the temp gage. I still do not have any fans yet. It was about 85 deg out so the truck was running a bit warmer pulling in general. About 195 to 200 in general.

Like I mentioned when I hit 220 I backed off and started loosing speed. I was climbing at about 45 mph by the time I hit the top and started seeing some steem.

Where I was going was actually behind the seven mountains campground right at the top so I pulled in and let it idle for a bit. I don't think my cap was doing me any favors.

You must be registered for see images attach

besides that hill the truck did great as usual. I must say I really like the trac loc. I know it is no true locker but it saved me pulling around the camper several times.

So looks like my goal will be to have my fans installed this week. I am also starting to really miss my ac with temps climbing towards 90 during the day with humidity.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
yeah man, thats not bad at all for a rig with no fans in this heat. That said, you're gonna want AC soon! LOL

subway

Reaction score
Yea I didn't think it was to bad without fans. I just didn't want to push it to much harder without any fans to back me up. I noticed it took a while to cool the engine down with no wind pushing through the radiator even with the hood popped after I parked.

I know I used to hear my fan clutch almost every decent hill towing with my idi. I got used to watching 220 on the gage.

You are not kidding on the ac, just wondering if it is worth the extra work to get a better condenser and move it forward of the intercooler. Heck I am toying with getting a smaller more efficient intercooler.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a fun hill. My cabin is back in there. The little access road after the second truck ramp. Rothrock state forest

subway

Reaction score
Wow you are close, my parents own my late grandparents property. They are behind the seven mountains campground.

subway

Reaction score
Not much of an update but I have my cooling fans mounted. I ended up making a special tool to get it done.

It's the shaft from an Erwin clamp with a small extension hose clamped on. I only have about a half inch gap to slide it in between the radiator and core support. Otherwise I would have to pull the radiator and water pump to mount them.

I had to pull my alternator out to get the other fan in. I still need a temp sensor and then I can wire them in.

subway

Reaction score
Sure do, I have a set of stock Volvo relays I got from Jon. I am thinking of running both fans off of one relay and putting another pusher on front of the intercooler. A sort of 2 low then 3 high set up.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
When I did the swap I bought a new condenser on rock auto, about $65. Was the updated style with 2 side tubes and the fined tubes going across instead of 1 wavy tube. Much better cooling. Oem replacement too. With the ic/ac/rad it blows ice cold even on the hottest days towing 2 trucks and the temp never goes above 215. And you have the right idea. Tie those 2 into the high side of the relay, then add one on the front on the low side to activate with the ac. I can idle my truck all day and it'll blow cold on low and never kick on the high.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

subway

Reaction score
I think I might do that Jon, I like the idea of upgrading the condenser. I have never been overly impressed with my ac. It real hot weather it was just enough to take the edge off. Additional fans might help this a lot though.

For those of you wondering I just made a scrap run. Sorry I didn't get a before but here is the current after. Truck comes in at 6920 with a half tank of fuel and no driver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86