Stuck ignition switch!!!!

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1991 7.3 IDI has been having a problem as of late. When it's cold outside and everything is stiff, I will go to turn my key to start my truck and te ignition switch will get stick on start! He truck will be running but WITH te starter. I just had it happen and the starter spun for probably 20-30 seconds and surprisingly didn't fry it. I am just about done with this crap. I need to figure out why this switch is getting stuck in start. Amy ideas?

sassyrel

Reaction score
sounds like some previous owner,,sprayed the wrong type lube in the column,,and now when cold,its sticking.. the only cure,,take it apart,,and clean the gunk out..then use a spray on graphite..

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I have replaced the ignition cylinder to no avail. It's hotter than blue blazes here and it's still tough to turn the key. My wife can't even start my truck at all. My cousin has an 86 250 and it isn't hard to start at all so I know I have an issue.
Btw I am also having a prob with starting the truck. Turn the key and sometimes it starts but other times it just clickes every time you turn the key. It will finally start if you try turning the key 4-5 times. It's pretty weird. Btw new ignition. Switch too.

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where would I lube it? I lubed the cylinder with the supplied white lith.
Is there somewhere in the column along the shaft?
Also, perronotto, what do you mean thank?

Reaction score
Don't confuse the lock and tumbler (the part where you put the key) with the actual ignition switch. The switch itself is located about halfway down the steering column and has a few moving parts of its own, hence the suggestion that it may be your problem. They're cheap enough to replace, but often just need a little lube or adjustment, or both. Had to adjust mine when I started having problems getting the truck started. I used to have to crank on the key so hard I thought it was going to snap off. The key actually turned easy enough, but the starter wouldn't engage until the very last bit of the rotation.

Mike

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the switch that's sticking and not the solenoid?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I will stick in my 2-cents worth.

My truck was doing the same, except not quite so bad as to hang up in "START"

What happens is the poorly designed pot-metal ignition-switch actuating rod is hidden deep within the confines of the column, where it cannot be accessed, cannot be cleaned, and cannot be lubed.

After a few years, what lube Ford may have applied has turned to a thick congealed substance that thickens when cold.

Many is the key or cylinder that has been damaged when trying to force this glued up mess to work.

Over the years, seeing all manner of vehicles come and go through our shop and elsewhere, I have seen more than a few to hang the starter like your's is doing; I have seen just as many snap the rod in two.

I bet when it is a hot day there is no problem at all.

The pin that locks the steering-wheel also resides in the upper end of that pot-metal rod; a very safe device just waiting on the right time to lock your wheel while going down the road.

You can dig deep into the column and clean, lube, or replace the actuating-rod; or, you can do as I did and eliminate that mess, switch-key and all, and relocate/rewire the functions it controls to nice no-non-sense toggle-switches and a push-button that triggers the solenoid/relay.

I like my system far better than the way it originally was.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ that sounds....sweet :puke:

I'll throw my two cents in, take the time and effort to find and fix the problem right. It worked for two decades, might as well fix it and get two more. Take the colum apart and find out where it binds up.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm with midnight.
I've snapped the end off multiple ford ignition locks.

I will say I have successfully disassembled and repaired the ignition switches.
Had a few pop open, and those contacts go everywhere. Zip ties fixed em though.