Stuck Glow plug

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Well, in the process of getting my heads ready to experiment on, i found probably one of the worst things that couldve happened at this point. After the head was removed, i pulled the injectors and managed to get 3 of the glow plugs out in tact. The 4th however lost the threads and the little metal tip for the connection. All that is left is the heating element itself and i cant get ahold of it with anything. Any ideas would be great.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing as the head is off you will have to drive out the PRE cup from the head through the injector hole, then you can work both sides of the fence for GP so to speak.

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will chime in on this but this is my best suggestion...a decent long punch that fits into the injector hole and support head on 2x4s and tap out the precup...

JM2CW

Al

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, like Al said, with the heads off, just remove the precup. Brass punch in the injector hole.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just to add to the above please spray some aerokroil or pb blaster on the cup to head joint. These cups are pressed into the head so some force is needed to pound them out. Its not much but give some thought to penatration oil first. And use a brass punch. Those cups are really expensive.. I used some brass 1/4 inch rod I bought at the local hardware store.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys. i ended up soaking it in deep creep while i was at work and clamped on it with a pair of vise grips when i got back. Gave it a few twists and it pulled free.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you got it out. Was the tip missing or did all of the heating end come out.